SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nearzealot

best small pond setup

nearzealot
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I don't post much on here, but I am an avid reader of the pond forum. I have a pond, 5 feet across, roundish, and about two-to two-and-a-half feet deep. I have three goldfish, a couple sprawling lilies, a canna, water lettuce and some hyacinth. I am unsure about the best setup for it and thought I would just ask you guys. I currently have a 1250 gph pump (I think my pond is about 350 gal) which is enclosed in the prefilter/biofilter that I built a couple years ago: A black file box with holes drilled in it, a bounch of scrubbies, some bio balls, and quilt batting around the edges. I tried a filter before the pump--a store-bought plastic one, a shallow box with two layers of filter media and the bio-balls--but it slowed my waterfall to a crawl. So the box I built is the only filter.

My question is: What am I doing wrong? The water was clear and clean at the beginning of spring until mid-May; it has been cloudy and green ever since. I rarely feed my fish. There are some plant leaves and stuff but I don't think and inordinate amount. There are a few small rocks at the bottom that I take out when I can, having decided after reading here that they are not good. I have a bag of activated carbon at the base of the falls. It's been there a week. I had quilt batting there and it got pretty goopy (not as bad as I thought it would) but no change in the water. In desperation I bought a flocculent yesterday which said it'd clear the water real fast. It hasn't. My best idea so far has been to abandon the box filter, wrap the pump in a bag of quilt batting, and try to find a filter that is efficient but won't slow the pump down too much. My waterfall is about a foot and a half off the ground, so I don't think I have more than three feet of lift, if that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, everyone! I really appreciate this forum.

-Jo

Comments (10)