SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Gardening Lessons Learned by Trial & Error

Tim
10 years ago

It�s been said that trial and error is a terrible way to learn. Although this may be true, sometimes trial and error is the only way one can learn. This has been my experience with the Wine and Roses Weigela. I planted a few of these shrub on the south side of my house a couple of years ago where they would receive an entire day of full sun. I thought this would be the best for them, since I had read that Wine and Roses Weigela needed full sun to display the darkest leaf color and most profuse and vibrant colored blooms.
So you can understand my disappointment when their foliage began to turn bright green and scorch. They looked healthy and kept producing new growth, which scorched almost immediately. By end of the summer of 2012, they were looking pretty bad.
After several e-mails, a couple of phone calls, and visits to my local county extension office and local nursery, I was told that the intense sun was scorching them and probably turning them green.

Last summer began round two of my trial and error weigela learning experience. I moved all of my Wine and Roses Weigelas to the east side of my house, just behind the mums, where they would receive morning sun and afternoon shade. To my delight and disappointment, they did not scorch at all but still turned green, although not quite as bright green as on the south side of my house. As summer turned to fall and the temperature began to cool, so did the leaf color of my Wine and Roses Weigelas. Their foliage turned from green to the dark purple they are known for almost overnight. That�s when I learned something about this shrub that no one, via internet, phone, or personal contact had ever told me before, maybe because they didn�t know. In my area, (Kingman, KS) Wine and Roses Weigelas need cool temps to display that dark purple foliage. There may have been other environmental conditions that were also a contributing factor, but I am convinced that heat was the main culprit.

Perhaps Wine and Roses Weigelas can still display purple foliage in scorching heat up north as long as they experience cool night time temperatures. I don�t know this last statement for sure, since I have never had the joy of learning gardening knowledge by trial and error up north.
But my hope is that by telling this story, I can save someone else on this form a lesson by trial and error. If you�re Wine and Roses Weigelas or some other dark leafed shrubs, are turning too green, perhaps too much heat is the problem.

Comments (17)