SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
restorephoto

How to replant a dangerous stream bank?

restorephoto
11 years ago

I've posted the following in the "Plants for Difficult Places" forum, but have received no feedback yet. I'd appreciate any and all comments from this group, but have one specific question. I've read that Calycanthus floridus might be a good shrub for this situation. I've had 'Athens' ('Katherine') for several years and need to dig up some of the suckering clumps at the edge of our driveway. Since it seems to stay under 6' in my yard (with only morning sun), I'm wondering if it would be suitable in the neighbor's yard on part of the slope between the stream and the street? It would be part of a new planting that might be done in phases. My primary concern is the way 'Athens' spreads in my yard. Would it be likely to spread to the edge of the street? There's no sidewalk to worry about, but I'm not certain how to make sure it doesn't get too close to the street. If not 'Athens,' what do you suggest?

We have a small dry stream running through our neighborhood. It floods severely a few times each year during and following thunderstorms. In our yard, fieldstones prevent most of the erosion, but the stream banks in the neighbor's yard (see photos) are moving a little each year.

The photos show what happened a few years ago in the neighbor's yard after the gas company's contractor had done some work in the street. The first photo is what happened after the first rain event and the other two show the result of the second rain event. There was no flooding with either rain event. The gas company repaired the damage and that area has been stable ever since.

Last week, a city snow plow drove down into this yard just a few feet east (left) of the area shown in these photos. It had to be towed out. The ground wasn't frozen and a lot of damage was done.

The previous owner had always had a lawn service do her lawn. The new owner is doing it himself and finding that it's a dangerous situation. I offered to post a message here to get suggestions for low-maintenance planting ideas.

What are the best (and preferably inexpensive) options available to the neighbor for landscaping the area between the street's edge and the stream?

This first photo is looking south after the first rain event. The second is looking southeast after the second rain event. The third is looking southwest after the second rain event.

{{gwi:239553}}

{{gwi:239555}}

{{gwi:239557}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting