SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

New Project with Fiberglass Tub

frankielynnsie
9 years ago

I need any information you can give me. I got a fiberglass hot tub spa blank today to use for a pond. It is a 6 foot by 11.5 foot oval, 3 feet deep. It doesn't have seats or holes for hoses. The sides are 'ribbed' and slope to the middle with just a little flat surface in the center. The outside is rough 'prickly' to the skin fiberglass. The inside is a flat mostly blue color, smooth, not shiny or slippery. I want to use it above ground. I will post pictures tomorrow. Here is where I need help--

1. The lip has a ragged 4 inch thin fiberglass edging that is cracked in places and I want to get rid of this. It is from the making of the tub. What is the best way to remove it?

2. Is there a paint I can spray on the outside that will make the fiberglass not stick into the skin? Do I have to sand off the fibers first? (I would just rather coat them with paint.)

3. If I use it above ground do I need to make a 2 x4 support for it?

4. If I wanted to spray paint the inside, what kind of paint? I don't want it to be slippery because my Granddaughter wants to have it for her personal swimming pool this summer.

I have tried looking it up on google to get an idea of if it needs support, what kind of paint. Some say automotive paint will work.

Anyone with experience with this, any help would be appreciated.

Comments (12)