SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Primary phalaenopsis hybrids

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was looking at this site and I really like some of the older hybrids that were made, and I'm not sure whether they are available anymore. I'm a fan of the smaller phals - I know most hybridizers try to get those really round shapes but I actually like the shape of some of the species phals alot.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone who is currently growing some species phals was interested in doing a project of making a new cross (I'm not sure where I can find a more complete list of registered primary hybrids without sifting through the RHS database). All it would involve is fertilizing a pod, and I've never flasked before, so this is going to be an experiment, but I do have access to a level 2 fume hood and supplies, and I'm decent at maintaining sterility (I do it as part of my degree actually) so it will be an interesting and fun thing to do!

There's three crosses I would really like to try. I believe cochlearis is quite rare, as is stobartiana. Also, I have no idea of the viability of the seeds due to compatibility issues.

cochlearis x equestris (been done in 1981)

cochlearis x viridis

cochlearis x stobartiana

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. I'm hoping to get a cochlearis somehow soon (there's an ebay vendor in hong kong who has one for sale...!!?). If there are expert phal breeders out there, I'd appreciate your advice! Also, if anyone knows where I can get a cochlearis, or a stobartiana, that would be great....I think these are more tricky to care for compared to the vigorous hybrids, but I really love their form and color, and am interested in investing time and energy for these two in particular.

Comments (15)