SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Dirty pond water!!! Help

lesliew
15 years ago

Our 1500 gallon pond has been up and running for almost two years. I carefully monitored water conditions, and followed all protocol for Spring and Fall maintenance. I have tested the water regularly, and it is fine. At the advice of my pond builder, I went along with using only a UV filter - no skimmer, no biofilter. Always had a problem with string algae on the waterfall, but learned to live with what I could not get off with my algae witch. I occasionally use a pond vac to try to remove some of the decaying matter on the bottom.

New pond guy started this Spring. He insisted I need a hefty water change, which he did, while stirring up the bottom to try to get a lot of the muck out with the water. He also hosed down the waterfall, and all the nooks and crannies which were full of dirt from the past several months. He removed mostly all the string algae from the waterfall ( which has come back with a vengeance). Now, the problem I have is tea-colored water. The debris which stayed in the pond, instead of having time to sink to the bottom again, got circulated to some degree through the pump ( there is still a lot on the bottom, despite the best efforts), and a lot of the string algae which is hanging from the rocks is now grayish brown, covered the dirt and muck, and a good bit of this comes back down into the pond with the waterfall.

There is some debris floating in the water (not a huge amount), and a small amount of foam. No matter how much time I spend removing the filthy algae where I can reach it on the waterfall, it seems to reappear like magic. There is no algae in the pond itself.

Yes, I know I should have a skimmer, but that would mean pulling the liner away, doing some digging, and taking part of the waterfall apart to get to the tubing from the pump so that it can be re-directed. I could put in a bio filter with a separate pump, but I doubt that would take care of the existing problem. It would simply provide the same benefit the pond gets from the bacteria and other items which are poured into the pond.

Is there anything I can do to clear this water? It tests okay for ph and nitrates. It is clear enough to see the rocks on the bottom, but is simply off-color and there is too much debris for it to be crystal clear. The fish are healthy and happy, and enjoying the algae which hangs off the waterfall into the pond. Actually it was much clearer with less debris before this guy performed his expensive act!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES