SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b4wine

Quilt Batting Questions

beth4
15 years ago

Four year old pond. Everything looked perfect in the spring. I left on vacation for 3 weeks, and came home to find brown water. First time I've had difficulties with my 1,000 gal pond water clarity. It's quite brown, preventing seeing bottom of pond, and there are suspended particles floating in it. Pond is equipped with Savio pump, skimmer, bio filter in skimmer box, and another bio filter at top of waterfalls. And 2 new UV lights, replaced this spring.

Yesterday I drained out 50-60% of water, cleaned out leaves on bottom of pond before re-filling the pond. I always clean in the fall, and was amazed how many leaves and acorns were on bottom of pond. I kept apologizing to my fish, as by feeling, I picked them up and discarded them. I think I got vast majority of the leaves removed....but lots of gunk got stirred up, so I couldn't see bottom. Fish ARE OK. They appear healthy, happy and act normally. Plants, water lillies, etc. are thriving. Surprisingly, algae is very much under control.

Gently cleaned filter behind skimmer, ensured skimmer was clean, then refilled pond, added some koi clay, and also added large, initial dose of MicrobeLift's Sludge Away, which I have always used and had good results. On Monday (to give pond time to settle down), I'll treat with ML Barley Extract, and ML PL to ensure bacteria has been replenished.

Water is still brown and has far more suspended particles than I would like, especially considering water change. Some of color could be caused by the Sludge Away, as it does change pond color temporarily, and often takes 48 hours to dissipate.

So, I'm wondering about using the quilt batting I read about here so often. For my set up, would I place the folded square of quilt batting in the skimmer box, which is located in front of the pump? If not there, where should the quilt batting be placed?

How often should I check the quilt batting....2-3 times per day?

Do you just hose out the quilt batting, and eventually replace it (similiar to the treatment I use for the bio filters)?

How thick do you fold the quilt batting? The thicker, the more it will absorb? Or do you want only a double layer?

Thanks to those who respond. I do appreciate your guidance. As one who has really enjoyed her pond and loves the crystal clarity of the water, being able to clearly see the bottom in great detail, as well as all the activities of the fish, this is all a bit dismaying.

Beth

Comments (18)