SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Color variability - an unsung attribute

sherryocala
15 years ago

I snuck into Randy of North Central Texas' backyard this evening to peek at his garden (on HMF) and through the miracle of digital photography and photo uploading I could see the blooms in his garden throughout the growing months. Visions of color shades and petal shapes of a rose that seemed to change in every picture. I knew this happened but was unprepared for the spectacular differences. One rose could project a whole rainbow of colors during the season. Oh, and not just one rose. Every rose in Randy's garden had this chameleon-like ability to be whatever color suited its mood.

Now I don't think Randy has a magic garden or a secret fertilizer concoction. On the contrary I believe this occurs in every rose garden. I may have stumbled on something that gardeners have recognized with awe for centuries. The rose is a most divine plant for countless reasons, and the particular cause for adulation that I saw this evening is color and colors and more colors on a single rose bush described as "medium pink". What an injustice!

The subtle and vivid colors that a single variety can produce depending on temperature, weather, light and who knows what other factors has just struck me as awesome. What a wonderful plant.

So I thought some of you might have examples of the varied incarnations of our beloved roses to share just to jolt our senses and remind us of the wonder that happens before our eyes in the garden.

Sherry

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES