SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawkiefriend

What is a pre-filter for?

hawkiefriend
14 years ago

I've been reading the archives. People are submerging their pumps with a "pre-filter" around them, as in this post I quote here:

* Posted by ilovemilkbottles Z4NY (My Page) on

Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 17:22

Well - thanks for all the advice people and here is what I did. Instead of the collanders, I went to the dollar store and bought a shoebox style tupperware container with snap on lid. I drilled a hole in each end (one to run the electrical cord from the pump through and the other side to run the hose in. I then drilled another hole in the top for the fountain to poke out of. I then drilled about a dozen small holes in each side for waterflow. I got the fountain pump in there and then stuffed that puppy full of those dollar store colorful plastic scrubbies. I discarded the sponge cover entirely. Once submerged, I had to put some flat rocks on top of it to weigh it down but it works great. It went for almost 4 weeks before I had to clean it out but even then, I could maybe have gone another week but I was going on vacation and wanted to make sure there were no problems. Boy when I did clean it I couldn't believe the algea and crap in the scrubbies. By using a container with a snap off lid though it makes it easy to just pick the whole thing up out of the pond and hose it out. It was a great idea and thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

End Quote

What is this for, and what does this prevent? Do I need to cover my big pump with this sort of thing too?

Thanks!! I feel dumb, asking you all these questions, but how else can I learn?

Comments (16)