SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdrums55

Small scare and a lotus question

timbersmith
14 years ago

Well, got quite a surprise this morning when I checked on the pond - it was cloudy and thick with suspended mud and silt. Quite a difference considering the water was quite clear with only a tinge of green the previous day. My first thought was something knocked over some of the plants in the night (they were all in place and accounted for), somebody came by and put something in the pond (didn't smell any different and couldn't taste anything in the water), or maybe some rodent decided that the pond would make a nice new home (muskrat might've dug a hole through the liner, but there was no water loss).

After looking around I noticed that something had been in the lotus bog - the mud was loosened up and some of the floating leaves were missing (the lotus bog is a 1/2 barrel, 20 gallon preform sunk into the ground outside of the pond, with water being gravity fed from the bio falls through 1/2" tubing, which outflows into a small planting area with a red bog lily, and then into the pond - my first big addition to this inherited pond). So since I haven't really seen this asked before, am I going to have problems with the damn deer constantly molesting the lotus, or will they eventually leave it alone for other better-tasting fare?

Actually, now that I think of it, how about another lotus-related question . . . right now the lotus bog only contains the lotus, no other plants - I've been meaning to put some bog bean in there to grow between the rocks, so would it be better to put 'em in baskets, or bare-root 'em into the bog itself? I'd imagine that putting the bog bean directly into the mud will impact division time when the lotus needs it, but then again putting it in baskets could hamper the lotus when it tries to send up an aerial or bloom underneath one of the baskets. Then again, distinguishing lotus tubers from bog bean roots oughta be a no-brainer, right?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (7)