SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Advice on Grammatophyllum speciosum

orchidnick
14 years ago

I'm seriously contemplating getting a large Gramm speciosum. Kawamoto orchids has medium sized plants for sale and by special arrangement its possible to get a big one. The specific plant I have in mind has previously bloomed and will be barerooted from a 15 gallon pot for postage reason. It can be viewed on their Ebay site, the last listed plant is a med sized specimen but one of the photos shows a boy standing next to a larger plant, that's the size I am talking about. Here is the link to view it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIN-Gram-speciosum-Largest-Orchid-in-the-World-Wow_W0QQitemZ300363531344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef0fc450

I'm waiting until the whether turns the corner, probably March or April before ordering it but am exploring the subject now.

Does anyone have a large one which has bloomed? I hear they only bloom every few years. I grow everything in rock or bareroot, some of the bareroot plants are in an empty pot which they eventually fill with roots. That would be my preference as rock is too heavy for a monster like this. I could also mount it on a large tree stump I have which has a nice saddle, the thing has a flat base so sits on its own on a level surface.

It's listed as epiphyte or occasional lithophyte so that treatment should work. I certainly don't want to have to repot it every 1 1/2 years for deteriorating bark.

Another hiccup is that our Winter which too cold for it. I plan to build a little platform near the roof of the greenhouse so in the Summer it can sit up there getting unobstructed sun all day long. I know it gets unfiltered sun in Hawaii but our midday sun in Aug, with the temp approaching 98F, is something else. Should it receive some protection? 50% shade cloth maybe? I plan to move it into the greenhouse for the Winter with a dedicated HI light above it. When it gets even bigger it may be a squeeze to get it in the green house door but with a couple of men pushing and pulling it should be possible. If it ever blooms during a SOCAL show, moving it there would be a chore.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Merry Xmas to everyone,

Nick

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH