SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Just got a letter that ruined my 2013 growing season

Karolina11
11 years ago

I just received a letter from our sewer authority saying they will be redoing the sewer line behind our house from March until late summer. They are requesting a 40 foot temporary easement into our land and going across the property and tearing up everything to put a new sewer line in. This was not a previously agreed upon easement. That encompasses all of my full-sun beds{{gwi:807}}.

I have hundreds of dollars of perennials and roses in those rose beds and have 140 roses ordering coming March, a majority of which were destined for those beds. According to our neighbor, they will replace trees they took out and compensate some value for plants. However, that doesn't change the fact that these are mature plants and trees, not young ones. I don't even know what to do now. Do I begin digging everything out in the middle of winter in an attempt to save it? I don't even have enough pots. I would also hate to cancel thousands of dollars from nurseries for bareroots but I am unsure I can or want to attempt to keep them alive in pots for the season.

I am losing 90% of my beds for the 2013 season and very much upset right now. Has anyone else gone through this? Any advice?

P.S. I understand this is not as bad as everyone going through terrible droughts or gardens decimated by disease so I apologize if I am coming off as too dramatic. It is just very upsetting at the moment.

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 18:15

Comments (38)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio