SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Spring's coming...do you have any plans?

seil zone 6b MI
12 years ago

So what kind of projects are in the works out there? Any new roses you're really looking forward to? New ideas you want to try out?

I'm looking forward to spending more time just being able to enjoy my roses this year. Last year we put in that new bed and it was a huge job and it took up most of the summer. As a result I didn't get to spend much time just enjoying the garden and I never got any crosses made at all. This year I do need to put the finishing edging around the bed but that's the only big project I want to tackle. I have tons of ideas for crosses and I really want to get a lot of them done this year so I have some hips of my own to work with.

I'm really hoping that a few of the new roses I got last year will winter well. They were very impressive their first season but only if they can stand up to winter will they be any good for my garden. Dick Clark was gorgeous and was one of the very few roses that I've ever gotten that lived up to it pre-release hype. I hope it likes my winter storage arrangements and come back this spring. Koko Loco was another one that was out of this world lovely! Hope it winters well too. The mini Magic Show was a surprise late addition last year and I'm hoping it had enough time to get settled in the ground before winter. I think it has exhibition possibilities from the blooms it gave me last fall.

I'm really psyched about what that new bed is going to look like in full bloom this spring. Since none of it got planted until July this will be it's first spring flush and in my head it's going to be gorgeous but, lol, who really knows? I did try to arrange them in what I thought would be a pleasing manner but it might just turn out to be a mess! And there's no way of knowing how many might not make it through their first winter in the ground since most of them came from my potted ones. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! And as always, everything will hinge on what kind of weather we get...

Whatever doesn't make it will be replaced with OGRs and minis since I'd like to expand my collections of these. I do want to give Mutabilis a try. I know it's a china but I think from what you all have said and what I've read that I can get it to winter for me. I'd also like to try a zone pushing Tea rose but haven't decided what yet. And since they don't "count" there's always room for a few more minis!

So what kind of spring things are you thinking about?

Comments (13)