SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Potting up onion seedlings

mandolls
11 years ago

I have tried to search this but cant seem to find it mentioned. This is my first year for onions of any sort. I have started some Cabernet reds and White Lisbon bunching onions. I started 5-6 seeds per 3oz cup and they are no about 2.5" high with two leaves. I am beginning to transplant them into individual containers.

I am using 4" pots since they will be inside for another 8-10 weeks. My concern is whether I am planting them to deeply as I move them. Almost everything else that I transplant gets planted a bit deeper when I move it. I have just been reading about many people having problems because they planted their onions to deep when setting them out. Does this apply to transplanting the seedlings too? The ones I have already transplanted I set to about the depth of where the second leaf forks off, some maybe a smidge deeper.

Also - planting out - everything I read says as early as you can turn the soil. I have raised beds so they defrost fairly early, but I am in WI - can they really take a few freezes?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks

Comments (2)