SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fly_gal

Advice for a new Phal owner

fly_gal
9 years ago

Hello!!! I am apologizing in advance for this long post. I'm trying to give as much background and information as possible.

I have been eyeing orchids for a bit now. I am not an avid gardener, but over the past summer I have taken more of an interest. I am a recovering over-waterer and currently have a palm that I half killed because I put it too close to a vent, but I have a few jade plants that I rescued from a co-workers office and they have been doing pretty well so I'm thinking I've recovered from over-watering.... I live in Winnipeg, Canada, which is currently experiencing a VERY cold fall.

My penny pinching husband wanted to get me some flowers so he got me an orchid (he'd seen me looking at them) instead of getting me a bouquet so I'd have blooms longer. I am very nervous that I am going to kill this beautiful plant. I have placed my beautiful orchid on a plate of pebbles and water as it's quite dry here. It is beside a south facing window that is nowhere near a vent.

So, long story short, I have learned from a few of my earlier stated mistakes. I have also been doing about a week's worth of reading this forum and other webpages but I still have a few questions that I'm hoping that someone can help me with. But I'm going to start with the most concerning one to me.

When I took it out of it's decorative pot there was water in the bottom which I immediately drained. More water poured from the clear plastic pot it's in so I placed it on a few bounty sheets to soak up as much moisture as possible. There are roots coming out the bottom that are black and mushy and one broke off. There are green roots though, but none have turned white yet, and the ones near the bottom appear to be mushy. Can I wait until it's done blooming to check and repair the roots? I do not want to hurt my husband's feelings by cutting off the flowers in order to save it unless I have to. It also has a very dry air root and there appears to be dried and broken off roots/spikes from the base of the plant.

Should I even bother trying to make this a new member of my family or should I just enjoy the beautiful flowers (or is too early to tell??) Please let me know if there are pictures required and of what.

Comments (15)