SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limequilla_gw

How do you stake baby seedling vines?

limequilla
17 years ago

Hi all-

I have a pot of Asarina scandens and it will soon be time to prick them out of their community pot and put them in cell packs. When that happens, I will need to stake them. What is the best thing to use?

After those, I have a LOT of vines to start -- I think I might be behind because I put them in a "special place" so I could find them, but then forgot all about them. :(

Some of the items are (will be) Painted Lady Runner Bean, Thunbergia, and Tropaeolum canary creeper, along with Tropolaeum tricolorum and some others.

I am totally new at this vine stuff, and frankly new-ish at seed starting in volume. Never had access to this many great seeds before Garden Web! Price is no object on the stakes for these vines, BTW. I have some really, really special ones that I am really excited about.

I could really use some ideas and why they are what you would (or wouldn't) use. Does Satrbucks still have wooden coffee stirsticks? How about those? Or plastic ones from a fast food joint? Or do they still sell those plastic drink swizzle sticks? Maybe those would be too slick and the wooden ones would rot too soon.

Lime

Comments (14)