SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_house_j_i_m

moster fish-eating-frog

old_house_j_i_m
13 years ago

over the past few weeks we have "observed" a frog in our pond. usually we hear the plunk of it jumping in the water and a little action as it scurries into the deep (5' deep pond) but we have never had the chance to really see this frog. also, over the past few weeks we have been loosing fish. 2 koi about 8 inches long got dropsy and could not be saved, one butterfly koi was found dead and looked like he had been beaten to death (bruising and battered fins) and 2 days ago another koi, about 4 inches long went totally missing. no note to say he left, no charges to his credit card ... just vanished.

yesterday while vacuuming out the pond i saw it - the monster frog from the deep. OMG its huge - its massive. probably from nose tip to bottom a good 8 inches long. appears to be solid deep brown with distinctive white "toes" that flash when it swims. it tended to huddle into the algae on the bottom (and wasnt very happy that I was vacuuming out his hiding place) and occasionally float to the surface for a breath.

Could this big guy have anything to do with my dead/missing fish ? he certainly looked big enough to gulp a fish. should I remove it ? where could it have come from ? I live in the city - nothing but concrete and buildings around, and I have introduced nothing but a couple of fish over the past year. I like the idea of having a frog to eat the slugs that chew up my hostas, but DANG, is he gonna chew up my fish, tooo?

I have been treating the pond with melafix and pimafix (gosh, i love the way they smell) but now I wonder if its the frogs doing, not some disease. the remaining fish seem very healthy so far.

Comments (9)