SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Best rose companion with Awakening?

linrose
16 years ago

I have a spot on my pergola at the end of the deck for another climber or two to go with an Awakening that has climbed up and over the top on one end. These would go on the 14 foot long closed side of the pergola. It has northwestern exposure but some sunlight does get through the lattice from the southeast. I am concerned with color combinations that would work, I can use any color that won't clash with the warm pink of Awakening. No blue tones. It must have good resistance to blackspot and be reliable in zone 6b. Next in importance are repeat bloom and fragrance (which would be nice being in a highly used sitting area.) These are some of the roses I am looking at now, would any of them work? They are:

Mme. Alfred Carriere

Dixieland Linda

Dreaming Spires

Compassion

Autumn Sunset

I tend to gravitate to the peach/apricot pink spectrum, but I think a warm yellow would be OK too. What do you think?

Here's a pic of the pergola taken last spring, Awakening is on the end. The 3 panels on the side is where I'd like to place the new roses. Right now I have a Goldflame honeysuckle there that mildews badly and need to go. It's about 12 feet from the ground to the top of the pergola. Awakening has already rounded the bend and grown half way across the top - about another 7 feet. I should probably look at something that's not that rampant!

{{gwi:25100}}

Comments (12)