SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilbirdbird

UV clarifier is definitely working!

basilbird
14 years ago

Thought I'd report on my experiences with a UV clarifier.

I had terrible algae in the pond all last summer despite the fact that the pond is well shaded. I used barley extract with some success but I just couldn't keep it up.

I bought myself a Pondmaster 40 watt submersible UV clarifier for Christmas and finally got it hooked up on Saturday. I opted to buy a 900 gal Laguna max-flo pump for it to simplify the set up. Yes, I know it's going to add to the expense.

When I popped it all in the pond on Saturday, I couldn't even see light bands on the clarifier! By Sunday morning I could just barely make out three lights underwater (only about 14 inches below the surface!). Now they are clearly visible and I'm starting to see bottom in some of the shallow areas.

My plan is to run the clarifier and pump 24/7 until the water is clear and then set it on a timer to run 12 hours a day (that should save a little money). Does that sound reasonable? Will the constant on/off hurt the clarifier or pump?

My pond is about 2500 gallons and generally shallow (except for the deep end). The first year I had no algae at all (despite very hot temps) and lots of water hyacinth. Last year the water hyacinths never took off and I had tons of algae. This year is still too early (and cold) to tell. I'm hoping if I can get a jump on it, I can keep it in check

BasilB

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!