SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
longlocks_gw

Foam on surface of pond

Longlocks
16 years ago

I have a LOT of foam on the surface of my pond (round 16' diameter 2' deep). I've only two small goldfish in there. Got the fish last summer and they successfully overwintered so this is the 2nd summer for them. Always thought they were both males (as have seen no baby goldfish) but then most of the threads I've read regarding foam on the pond seem to indicate that this foam is produced when the fish are spawning.

I admit to being confused...spawning that produces foam are the eggs from the females right? Or does the sperm produced by the males also cause foam?

And just how 'foamy' does the water get when two smallish (approx 3' goldfish) spawn? I mean I've got a lot of foam and it has been around for about 10 days now. I keep spraying it to break it up and it just keeps 'coagulating' back again in roundish configurations or clinging to the lilly pads.

I've only introduced one new plant to the pond and used a pot that had been in the pond last season (all I did was rinse that pot with my well water -- which is same water I use in the pond) and filled it with pea gravel and impatiens.

Could there be something in the pea gravel (or something in the potting soil the impatiens were planted in in the flat) that would cause this foam?

Thanks for any help!

Kathy

Comments (14)