SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

Pond tragedy

Lily316
12 years ago

Last Thursday we had four tornadoes here in central PA. We were in the grocery store when the storm happened and 1000's of trees were uprooted everywhere. We were glad our old trees survived but we lost power. This was 7 PM and the next morning when I went up to our big pond., my five prize koi were belly up. Two of them were over 20 years old and were almost two feet long. They were very friendly and would eat of my hand. I was devastated, couldn't reach husband , and my phones were all dead along with numbers stored on them. I did reach my daughter and she called her husband who rented me a generator to save the remaining koi and a few goldfish. Our power was off for 26 hours but I cannot believe these koi died. I'm so sad. They were like pets to me. The temps weren't very high yet, so why did this happen? The past four days, it's been very hot and now I'm freaking that the power will go out or a pump will malfunction and I will have another fish kill. We have a small concrete pond , 4 by 6 built in the 20's and we uncovered it 28 years ago when we bought the house. I really wish I'd never gotten into ponds. We are not that young and it's a huge commitment and a lot of sadness when things like this happen. We built the big pond when the koi outgrew the small one. The remaining fish are spooked and not eating and are not friendly like the dead fish were.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider