SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Co-dependent Fish Owner....fin rot...?

ademink
14 years ago

First of all...hi to all of my long-time ponding buddies! Yes, I'm still alive! :D

I've had the same 10 koi in my 16K gallon pond for the last 5 years now. Today I went to a garden center to buy ONE tree peony.

Well...I left with 4 tree peonies and 5 koi (HUH?). LOL All metallic pretty babies...niiiiiccccccceeeee

On the way home, I noticed that the black and silver metallic one I had was missing a chunk o' the top of his tail. It looked like it might be slightly fuzzy on the edge. I think it had an injury at some point and perhaps advantageous bacteria is getting its groove on.

I suppose the normal consumer would have turned around and returned the fish.

But nooooo....

I know that they will not take care of him and make sure he's ok...they'll probably just throw him back in and say "good luck". I'm attached and he is now my child.

Soooooo.... now he's in my 20 gallon quarantine tank.

He is in 10 gallons, triple sulfa, bubbler and that's it. It says not to use carbon filtration. Here are directions: Empty packet in aquarium...repeat after 24 hrs...wait another 24 hrs then change 25% of water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses.

He is wild and free, flyin' around the tank, eating, the whole 9 yards. He is way spunky.

(Yes, there really is a question here somewhere...)

If I feed him lightly, is he ok for 72 hrs w/ no filtration in 10 gallons? Oh, he is around 5" long, by the way. Little fella.

It says not to do water changes until the recommended 25% at 72 hrs but I want to make sure I don't poison him while trying to help him.

Should I fill the tank full to 20 gallons? I was just trying not to have to buy double the medicine if it wasn't necessary to put him in the full tank but if it is...?

Hope this wandering journey took you somewhere. LOL

Thanks in advance!

Andrea

PS I welcome any other thoughts!

{{gwi:204089}}

{{gwi:204090}}

{{gwi:204091}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!