SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noviceextreme

Any idea what Castor Plant these are from?

noviceextreme
12 years ago

So I had some Castor seeds from a friend that I thought were just so beautiful. I finally decided to try and plant them, and for whatever reason they never took. So I ordered some seeds from a grower online and thought that I should order the Zanzibar variety as that is what I thought the seeds came from. To my surprise, when I received the seeds, they were tiny compared to the seeds I had. If you look at the attached photo, the seeds on the left are close to 1 inch at it's largest diameter. But the seeds on the right are more like regular sized jelly beans. I could practically fit all the seeds inside one of those seeds from my friend. He has since moved and no longer has that plant in his yard and he thought they were from a Zanzibar variety as well. Yet here I am with seeds that are vastly smaller then the original. Does anyone know of a Castor plant that grows very large seeds like these? The plant these came from was just beautiful and would look really nice in my garden, and I'm sure any variety would as well, but it's got me really curious... what variety are these large seeds from?

Image link:

Comment (1)