SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Mounted, potted, or best of all, both.

orchidnick
10 years ago

I'm going through my annual exercise of replacing old sphagnum moss with fresh material. I have very few plants in bark so this applies only to the ones that do best in SM, Bulbos, Pleuros, Masdies, Dracula etc. As part of the process I unpot every plant, tease out the old moss and repot either in the same pot or a larger. This is the time for divisions and up-potting to larger or different pots/baskets.

I also look at every mounted plant of these genera, either adding a pad of fresh moss or replacing the moss if suitable. This allows me to evaluate each and every plant and see where they are going.

When I get a new plant I try to divide it as soon as possible so that I have a potted and a mounted specimen. Sometimes I have to wait a year to do this but I always do. This brings me to the point of this thread.

I have found 2 instances so far where I lost a potted plant, one to suicide by dying, the other to virus and had the mounted plant survive and thrive. There were more than one instance where it was obvious that the mounted plant was much happier than the potted plant and the reverse was also noted. There were also instances where both the potted and mounted plant committed suicide. (I never kill them, they commit suicide). Obviously that particular species does not like my set up and it would be a waste of money to try to replace it. Others never get to that point, I get a plant, it fails to thrive and never gets divided. This rule then, only applies to established plants.

I think it is a good policy to grow each plant, terrestrials excluded, in both conditions, space and plant size permitting. If a plant obviously does better in one than switch to that. Other factors also enter but it is a general rule that I have come to appreciate over the years.

There are exceptions to every rule. I have only one Phaelanopsis gigantea and it is mounted, a giant like Pleuro titan is potted. Most of the year I don't think of this, just watering and caring for all of them but at this time it becomes apparent that this policy does make sense and is of benefit to the collection.

Nick

PS: One of the local restaurants has a chocolate waterfall where one can spear strawberries and hold them under the cascading chocolate. They offer 6" wooden spears to stab the strawberries. I grabbed a bunch of these and they are perfect for teasing out old moss from tangled roots. They seem to not hurt the roots in the process and beautifully get the old moss out. Their point allows penetration of the jangled mess which is not as easy with the wooden stakes I used to use for this.

Comments (5)