SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boulder345

UV light for string algae???

boulder345
15 years ago

I have a thriving crop of string algae. I have been given conflicting advice about how effective a UV light would be to help minimize the alage. Some say that a light will reduce that algae (I don't understand how it would) and others have said that it won't help at all.

I would prefer not to use an algaecide, since I am afraid of killing the population of minnows that I established last year and also harming the local wildlife that comes to the pond for a drink.

My feature is about 5000 gallons. It is very well aereated by two waterfalls and a rocky stream. At the beginning of the season, I turned of the pumps and pressure washed the stream. That took care of the problem in that area for about a month. The main pond is more difficult to clean. Although, I did wash some of the pond today (I had to clean the filters and skimmer baskets four times in about 3 hours). Living in Colorado, the big culprit in my algae problem is sunshine - lots of it. The whole feature is in full sun nearly all day.

Any advice?

Comments (13)