SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanbachman_gw

Climbing Rose versus Rambler?

SusanBachman
11 years ago

What is the difference between a 'climbing rose', a 'rambler' and an 'old garden rose'? Has anyone had experience with these?

I have an old little pink climber (miniature?) I think. I will post pictures in the summer when it is blooming. It was saved from a farm. It gets long stems that are weak. I am not sure if it really is a climber or what. How do you tell if it is a climber?

picture from Sunset Roses. This is what they say: "Rose bushes are natural choices for flower beds and shrub borders; some also make fine hedges or container plants. The largest are the old garden roses, grandifloras, and shrub roses. Hybrid teas and floribundas generally grow with more restraint. Miniature roses are the smallest; some reach only 1 foot tall. For a little formality, consider a standard rose, a bush rose grown on a tall bare stem; a patio rose is a small standard.

Climbing roses grow on vertical surfaces or free-standing supports. The most vigorous ones, the ramblers, will cover a house roof or grow to the top of a large tree. More moderate climbers clothe arbors and tall walls. Small climbers, sometimes called pillar roses, are suitable for a pyramid or trellis. In addition to the roses that are classified as climbers, there are old garden roses and shrub roses that climb, and climbing miniature roses.

Ground cover roses make a low, mounding carpet of color up to 8 feet wide. They are most often massed on a slope or an area of the garden where other knee-high shrubs might be used. They also make good container plants."

Comments (9)