SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Hand dredge a pond area?

beesneeds
9 years ago

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this or not.

We live on an old property that part of it rests on the edge of a football fieldish sized oval pond with a small island in the middle.

The previous owners had a spot cleared out so they could take their horses down for a drink, and they had a tiny floating dock moored there at one point. It was pretty much just some boards with a couple barrels strapped on one end, the other end solid on the dirt.
That was at least 8 years ago. Now the area is getting filled in with cattails, and the general mushy ick of being in still area overhung by a large willow.

The area I want to clear out is about a 6 feet wide and the cattails are about 3-4 feet out. Pull out the cattails and rake out the alage, scoop out some of the mucky stuff. Clean it up to set in another tiny floating dock.

I need to be able to do this by hand for a variety of reasons. So, I'm looking for advice on how to accomplish this.

I think I can wade in and pull up the cattails by hand. Rake out the algae and top muck as much as possible. Can I make a 5 gallon bucket form of a dredge bucket to help clean some of the bottom muck up? Something one or two people could handle easily?

I figure there must have been ways of doing this before machines, people that still do small scale cleanup like this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)