SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Mother nature decides

annafl
16 years ago

You all know about the pond we built a little over a year ago. Our plans were to get fish when we had enough waterlilies to give them cover and shade, so they would thrive. We planned on only a few so as not to overload the nitrate load of the ecosystem and end up with pea soup. The pond was built to deter herons by straight edge drop offs and water depth. Surely a few fish would do well. That is what we planned.

About six weeks ago, we divided our water lilies and decided we now had enough for adequate cover for fish. We visited the pond store and picked out 7 cute, 3-4 inch sarasa comet and shubunkin goldfish. Named them all as planned. Didn't want koi because we planned on having pond plants, and koi are fond of eating waterlilies and other pond plants.

The fish loved the pond and seemed to be getting along and finding plenty of natural food. Everything was working out wonderfully as planned. Till about two days into this. Realized that one of the fish was spawning. Oh, my gosh, didn't want a population explosion! I had visions of pea soup and trying to catch these fish with nets to give to the pet store. A couple of weeks later, the original fish were already getting quite a bit larger, and there were perhaps a hundred tiny goldfish everywhere! A couple of weeks after that, more, even tinier fish were proof that at least a second 'litter' had occurred. In the meantime, I had planned on training the fish to come when they saw me, and had bought the appropiate food for this. The fish would not be trained, as planned, but I found out about all the turtles in the pond. Every time I showed, the little turtles would all be up begging for food. I didn't plan on turtles. Didn't want turtles, but have many turtles, and the mama red-eared slider had her own plans and is out laying eggs all over my yard as I write!

Well, we've had blue herons, little blue herons and green herons several times a day here the last couple of weeks, although I have not actually seen them in the pond (maybe something worked out as planned?). They are certainly aware of the fish population in there, as other creatures were becoming aware of also.

In the last week, the fish actually seemed to be getting the hang of coming up for food. Not great, but if I stood there long enough, a few of them would nibble at the pellets left behind after the turtles' bellies were full.

This morning, as I was coming down the stairs I noticed a ruckus in the pond. It was just dawn and I wasn't sure of what it was. Too early for the ducks, who show around 7am, too big even for mama turtle. I ran to the window. It was like a scene out of the movie jaws. Four otters were swimming and diving in the pond. Da, dada, dada, dada.... The whole thing was turbulence as they raced around for about 5 or more minutes. My DH went out there to scare them as I watched thru the window. They stopped long enough to watch him wave his arms and hiss at them and then kept on with their business of devouring the fish. After their breakfast was done, the four of them left the back way and quickly slithered away to the pond across the street.

Not what I planned. Not what I planned at all. Beautiful creatures, all of them, but not the calm little water garden with a few goldfish that I envisioned would grace our back yard. I feel sad for Clifford, Jose, Harold, Big Mama, Zorro, Honky and Pimple. Have been out 3 times today and have not seen them. I think they are in goldfish heaven. It has been amazing to watch mother nature in action- all her creatures, in checks and balances, all the brutal things that happen in the circle of life.

Comments (19)