SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Canes look green still-very unusual for zone 5a

phylrae
16 years ago

This is the first time in 7 years that Gary and I DIDN'T trim our rose bushes down somewhat or even get extra soil down on their bases for winter protection....just ran out of time w/jobs and extended family issues last fall.

I know our winters have been strange these past few years....it didn't really snow that much til after Christmas, then it melted, then rained, then more snow, you know....50 one day and 0 the next. We have a few feet of snow now...not much though. I know that snow is a great insulator...and that the freeze/thaw is usually the culprit in cane death/canker.

Most rose canes this year seem to be GREEN and don't look dead (yet)...even all the way to the tips.

My question: Is there an association between NOT having cut them down to 2-3 feet like we USUALLY have done and them STILL BEING GREEN? I haven't checked the inside pith yet to make sure it's really a healthy whitish....but usually I have to prune them all down to about 9-12 inches in April due to dead (blackened) canes/canker.

Anyone have info on why this would be? I know we still have a few months of snow/cold. Would be so nice not to have to cut so much cane off in the spring.

Thanks! :0) Phyl

Comments (27)