SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Beginning of Autumn

deanneart
17 years ago

It is difficult to believe that October is just around the corner and the first frosts are just as imminent. Where did this year go? It seems that only in the last week or so I was finishing potting up the containers and now it is time to take them apart. Seems so sad but if the truth be told Im about ready for a rest from tending everything outside. I took a walk around with my camera yesterday and enjoyed some of the views I still have. The annuals are now the shining stars in the gardens and are definitely worth all the work to have so much color at the end of September.

The terrace gardens are just about finished up except for the sedums but the variegated foliage of the ÂNora Leigh phlox still sparkles in that border. The fuchsias are as happy as can be with the sunny days and cool nights and putting on quite a show to finish up the season.

{{gwi:180933}}

{{gwi:180934}}

{{gwi:180935}}

{{gwi:180936}}

The dogwood is just beautiful this time of the year and has more berries on it than IÂve ever seen before. The birds have stripped the Mountain Ash and have started working on the dogwood in the last few days.

{{gwi:180937}}

The containers are just full of color and it seems a crime to dismantle them before the cold but IÂd better start taking them apart soon. I think IÂm in Âfrost denial mode at the moment.

{{gwi:180938}}

Thanks again Eileen for this wonderful Illustris! IÂve enjoyed it tremendously this summer. IÂm hoping I can successfully winter it over.

{{gwi:180939}}

This container has been just terrific this whole season and there are no flowers in it! I love that it looks so great and doesnÂt need the constant deadheading of the arrangements with flowers. That Plectranthus ÂLemon Twist is an amazing and wonderful plant. It always looks great, takes to pruning well and grows like its on steroids. I love it! The other plants in this are one of those Cordyline australis, a Strobilanthes, Coleus ÂGays Delight and a Ipomoea ÂSweet Caroline PurpleÂ

{{gwi:180940}}

Another absolute favorite form this year with an Abutilon pictum ÂThompsoniiÂ, Abutilon ÂBella hybridÂ, Plectranthus ÂLemon TwistÂ, Coleus ÂDappled Apple and a lantana that didnÂt have a name. I want to do this arrangement again next year but replace the orange flowered abutilon pictum with the one that has yellow blossoms. I thought IÂd call it the ÂLemon Meringue container. LOL

{{gwi:180941}}

This has been so nice also with the Sedona and Tilt-a-Whirl coleus with the scavola and fuchsia. The green spotted leaves are Calla lily ÂFlame that unfortunately never bloomed. They were pretty small corms that came from HD so IÂm hoping if I save them and replant next year IÂll get some flowers. Cant you just see this arrangement with those orange calla flowers? That would have been great.

{{gwi:180942}}

This container on the patio has gotten gigantic. I think the abutilon in this one is about five feet tall now.

{{gwi:180943}}

Here is the other sideÂ

{{gwi:180944}}

The containers on the front steps are still looking nice as well. I just canÂt tell you all how much IÂm loving those fuchsias. The only problem with this picture is that canna lily was supposed to have more of a pink flower instead of that coral one and it just clashes with that dahlia in that upper container. WonÂt make that combo again. LOL

{{gwi:180945}}

The breezeway entrance with my Âhelper posing for a pic. You can see one of my Hydrangea ÂLittle HoneyÂs and one of the purple pots I bought in Rochester when visiting Mary.

{{gwi:180946}}

The asters have opened in the driveway garden are look terrific this year.

{{gwi:180947}}

{{gwi:180948}}

{{gwi:180949}}

OK I guess IÂd better quit before this thread doesnÂt open. Enjoy!

Deanne

Comments (19)