SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westoh

EOoM Free Shipping

westoh Z6
16 years ago

Subject says it all, good until 10/21., $60 minimum.

Here's my order:

Phal. (Golden Peoker x Jewel Night) x Phal. Alysha's Dots

Phal. violacea x Phal. Goldberry 'Clear Sun'

Bulb. Wilmar Galaxy Star (lobbii x dearei)

Cirr. fascinator

Dendrochilum uncatum

Oerstedella wallisii x Oerstedella pinnifera

Galeandra batemanniana x Galeandra greenwoodiana

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Orchids of Maui

Comments (55)

• paul_
    16 years ago

Well, Richared, if it was only 2 days ago, you might be able to cancel your order and reorder with more plants. :D Afterall, depending on how much shipping was going to cost you, it might be worthwhile...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Paul [The "Enabler"]

• shirley-z-8-tx
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I ordered: C. Jenmanii x C.Percivaliana 'Summit', Blc. Exotic Apricot x Pot. Exotic Dream, Pot Exotic Dream x Pot.?, Den. Vimalamitra 'Prolific Gold', Den. Wonder Nishi x Sib, and Blc. Haiku Gold 'Pauwela. I wish I could have ordered more but just bought some nice ones from HD.

• Related Discussions

Epi Mabel Kanda won't bloom.....

Q

Comments (11)
    Grow a lot of of Epi's/ Encyclia's. Many types grow wild in FL. That should give you a indication of conditions. They are light demanding plants. Have some outside in almost full sun all day long. Not a burn mark on them. Grow like weeds and bloom. Granted, I have high wind to cool them but Epi's and Encyclia's are not intermediate light plants IME. They stall as you are finding. In general, they seem to thrive in high light and int. - warm heat range. Usually when a plant is stalled, light & heat should be examined. We think of light and heat together but its not always the case. The red is because the plant was not acclimated to the light increase gradually. Not a worry. If its not in active growth, repotting only serves to disprupt the plant. I think of repotting as setting back a plant that is already experiencing a set back. Clara
    ...See More

Onc. Ruffles

Q

Comments (5)
    Paul, It's not too large for an oncidium. It's about the size of Burr. Nelly Isler (blooming p-bulb is only about 10" tall (including the leaves).
    ...See More

Darwinara Charm 'Blue Star'

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a different Darwinara Charm 'Blue Star' cross that is growing in lava rock s/h. Mine is white with a touch of purple in the throat (correct term?). But I may have to watch for EOoM's spring free shipping and try to pick up one like Kevin's cross. Carolyn
    ...See More

1 Free Packet of Green Sprouting (Calabrese) Broccoli+ free ship

Q

Comments (1)
    Thank you!! Mine are on the way. :)
    ...See More
  • cattsandducks
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting this - I needed an orchid fix!

I decided to try some known ones (Catts and Blc and Den) and then some I have never heard of Spathoglottis, Oerstedella, Barkeria,and Aganesia!

This is just too much fun!

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Received my plants yesterday from EOoM and it was a mixed blessing.

Beautifully packaged and very happy with the plants sent. The Bulb. Wilmar and the Dendrochilum were huge, the Galeandra was in bloom and the rest were quite acceptable as far as size and condition. Received a seedling size Phal hybrid as my freebie. (I had considering buying this one in a 4" pot, so it was kind of a nice surprise)

Now the disappointment, the Cirr. fascinator was sold-out ;-(. I noticed that shortly after I had placed my order, the Cirr. disappeared off their site, had they e-mailed me I would have ordered a replacement plant for the @ the same price.

Still received my free plant and free shipping although after not shipping the Cirr, my order total was less than the minimum $ amount.

Overall, I'm quite happy. Will keep and eye out and treat for snails if needed, just in case it is still an issue with their plants. I did not see any signs of the little slimes when unpacking.

Bob

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

My order (shared with two other people) has arrived at the FedEX facility next door in Mobile, AL and is probably being put on the truck for today delivery. I am always excited to get new plants.

I had ordered some plants from them a couple months ago, so I didn't have a big order of my own to begin with, just two of the Barkeria hybrids for the GH and a C. schilleriana that I want to try underlights.

Shirley, I got the C. jennmani x percivaliana cross from them in my prior order, and it came as a mature plant in sheath and then matured another bulb in the past two months; it will hopefully bloom from both sheathes later this fall. It's a named hybrid: Cattleya David Sander.

• highjack
    16 years ago

OHMYGAWG - I just unpacked my order from EOoM. I had read rave reviews from previous sales so decided to treat myself to celebrate the KY football win over the #1 team in the country, LSU. If they hadn't won, I would have probably ordered to soothe the loss :>)

Everything is busting out of their pots, two catts in sheath and another that looks like a sheath starting and one Den. in bloom. They were out of Lc Schilleriana in the 3 1/2" pot so gave me the 2" pot as the freebie.

My new acquisitions -

C. jenmanii
    C. dowiana var. rosita
    C. jenmanii x percilivana (thanks cj for the name)
    Lc Pacavia
    Blc. Eve Marie Barnett x C. aclandia
    Den. alexanderae
    Den. macrophyllum

It is so hot and humid in the G/H, they don't realize they left Hawaii.

Brooke

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

Wow, just got the box! This is a shared order so they are not all mine by any means; just two of the Barkerias and a Cattleya schilleriana v sanderiana. Just a bit of info on a few.

Barkeria hybrid (3) are all in spike.
    Pot Exotic Dream (1325-5) is in a 6" pot with buds in the sheath.
    Prosthechea radiata is a big, mature multi-lead plant.

• Sheila
    16 years ago

I have to wait for next week to get my order, had to mail them a check.

Olya, have you rec'd your order? I'm curious about the Phal violacea cross, I ordered it too! I'm hoping that it truly is blooming size.

I'm waiting to hear from a friend who's expecting her order today.

Happy growing guys.

Sheila :)

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Sheila, I am still at work, but the plants are waiting on the porch. I will post tonight and let you know :)

Olya

• shirley-z-8-tx
    16 years ago

Received mine today and couldn't be more pleased. Two cats in sheath, two dens in bud about to open, and the other two cats are excellent plants. The free plant is a small Lc Schilleriana. I will definately order from them again. shirley

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sheila,

I ordered the Phal violacea cross and mine is definately blooming size. 4-6 leaves, largest about 5"-6", no spikes, but I'm expecting something within a year. (Not sure if it will be a summer bloomer or fall/winter because of the cross)

Bob

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Lovely plants! All of the ones in 3.5 inch pots are huge and bursting out of the pots....Lc Schilleriana is just gorgeous.

Sheila, the phal is nice! 4-6 leaves, just like Bob said. Mine has a spike :-)

Olya

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

A heads up - watch out for Bush snails. Several people have said they're about impossible to eradicate in Hawaii-type conditions.

If they're in one plant..... it can lead to a life of orchid insanity. Only half-kidding.

Recently, Kevin said sometimes he sees them only when he repots - a thought that's been keeping me up nights after I saw a huge one last week or so.

Apologies for the downer, in the midst of your excitement about the plants. I've ordered from EOoM in the past and was knocked out by the size and quality of the plants.

Whitecat8

• highjack
    16 years ago

I'm watching for them as I repot. I don't wish to introduce them to my other plants. I have done two and so far, so good.

And yes, I am repotting even the plants in bloom and in spike. I would rather run the risk of losing bloom/sheaths than having an annoying pest.

Brooke

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Bush snails??? I was hoping to put off re-potting until early spring......but, if I need to look for creatures, rats, may have to re-pot when I get them.

My friends plants arrived and they look great. She's very pleased. I'll have to warn her to look out for snails. You said 'huge', as in 'bigger/smaller then a bread box'? LOL. What size is huge?

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Bush snails are tiny, by any standard. This one was maybe 3% of the size of my little fingernail. The babies almost can't be seen. If you're not looking at the plant & medium under your bright growing lights, a flashlight helps.

Whitecat8

• gardnergal
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I was also interested in Dendrobium hercoglossum, but haven't been able to find much information on culture. In fact, I haven't located it in any of my reference books. Does EOoM send detailed culture sheets? Anyone have additional info?

I didn't have any problem meeting the minimum...went overboard, in fact. This is my first time ordering from them. I was surprised to hear about the freebies.
    Ann

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Sheila,
    If you refer to my "huge" description...hummm...Well, I guess I meant healthy and big for their pot sizes and the price - high plant size to (pot size + price) ratio :)

I ordered another 60 - 61 to be exact - dollars worth of plants....Forgot to order L. Pacavia and a few others first time around. Waiting for more "huge" ones :)

Olya

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

Everything you need to know is right here, both in symbols and in text.

Here is a link that might be useful: Den hercoglossum

• palito
    16 years ago

I received my order today. a bunch of dendrobiums. Large plants for the price!

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Olya, not referring to plant size, but the size of these 'bush snails' that that Whitecat8 was cautioning about. Has anyone found any of these critters? I still have not had word on shipment of my plants......I had hoped they'd ship this past Monday/Tuesday, but nothing from FedX regarding a tracking number :(

Sheila

• highjack
    16 years ago

I've repotted all but three of my plants and have found none so far. I bare rooted everything and washed the roots thoroughly in case there are eggs on the roots. So far, so good.

Brooke

• alotofplants
    16 years ago

You can't beat their plants for the price. Just received mine

3 Zga
    2 Encyclia
    Prosthecea
    Spathoglottis
    and of course their freebie

• chip02115
    16 years ago

Had several bush snails (3mm diameter) in the Prostechea/Encyclia radiata and Dendrobium macrophyllum media from this recent EOoM order. Took me by surprise when the evening after their arrival, I saw 2 snails slithering 15cm from the pots across the grow table, one had alighted on the base of another pot! De-potted, washed plants, dumped old media, marinated everything into solution of caffeine (No-Doz/Vivarin/Caffeine tablets) 20-30 mins. Keeping fingers crossed I wasn't too late. To be on the safe side, I would de-pot/wash/quarantine anything from them. Awesome plants nonetheless. alvin

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Repotting this time of year can set back most orchids. I would just soak the pots for an hour and watch the little critters come to the top and then pluck them out.

I got:

D. hercoglossum
    D. Princess x unicum
    Slc. Sierra Doll x self
    Oes. calagaria
    the Galaendra cross
    D. schuetzii

I found a couple of bush snails by soaking the pots--all gone now!

• gardnergal
    16 years ago

Clintdawley,
    Did you soak them in water, or something else (i.e., coffee)?

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Just plain water...

• Sheila
    16 years ago

I was excitd to receive my order. The three catts are very nice. I love the shiny psbs on the jenmanii x perciviliana. When I saw how pretty they were, I had to peal the papery sheaths away to show them off!

Bulbo is great! Did anyone else order the B. Ray Gabaldon? It has many growths started, both large ones & small ones. I'm wondering when I can expect this plant to bloom???

My Dend victori-regina arrived in bloom, very pretty!

First disappointmnet was no Dend bracteosum x laevetifolium, sold out! I was very excited about getting that plant. I've been looking for a laevetifolium for a couple years.

Biggest disappointment came with the phal violacea hybrid. Bad leaf damage on two leaves, some on a third leaf......and it's in spike! I'm going to hate sending it back, but I do want one with the beautiful leaves.

• cattsandducks
    16 years ago

Bush snails!

I have been soaking my orchids in water for over an hour and the snails are still crawling out.

The ones that had the most are: Barkeria Whartonianum,, Epi. nocturnum, and the Blc Hawaii Stars and George King.

No No Doz, but will tea (as in Lipton or green) work as well??

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Hey, Clint,

In an earlier thread, I was asking if you could have only 1 Bush snail. I saw a big one (haven't ordered from EOoM recently), soaked all 4 of the Ctsm in water for 90 minutes and didn't see another snail, not even after looking compulsively w/ a flashlight. Not exactly reassuring.

Hope this is helpful - Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Can you have just one Bush snail?

• highjack
    16 years ago

Darn, my Den. macrophyllum is one of the three I haven't repotted yet. I'm glad these have been quarantined away from my other plants.

I would rather set a plant back than fight an infestation of some type. I want a healthy plant, not one that will spread creepy crawlie things.

Brooke

• cattsandducks
    16 years ago

Well, not to be totally paranoid but to follow the good advice given previously, I re-potted the Epi. nocturnum, and the Blc Hawaii Stars and George King. I found a few more snails lurking. Needless to say, the plants are soaking again and I will put them into new, dry bark.

I was ready to not order from EOoM again,but then received my order from Orchids.com (Norman's Orchids). I got 4 Phals and one Iwanagaara Apple Blossom.

I noticed a snail shell in the Apple Blossom and immediately de-potted it, only to find 4 live snails. That plant is soaking now and I will repot it in dry bark. (Norman's always seems to wrap their orchids very tightly in sphag). The phals I will just soak and see what floats up.

The snails seem to be everywhere!

Tomorrow I will get some snail bait and some caffeine tablets.

• albertan
    16 years ago

My order arrived in excellent shape, but I guess I don't spell my name right: I got no freebie! Oh, well..

I plan to remove all media from phals and put into semihydro. The vanda will be hung bare root and cattlya isolated until after bloom, then repotted. I always clean and repot any plants coming from Hawaii. You learn to take the good with the bad, and just appreciate the healthy plants. Fore warned, be fore armed.

• chip02115
    16 years ago

cattsandducks: I think caffeine concentration in any non-(regular) coffee is way too low to have toxic effect for snails. I would think any drug store would have No Doz/Vivarin/caffeine tablets - cheaper + higher caffeine concentration than Starbucks coffee. alvin

Here is a link that might be useful: Caffeine As a Novel Toxicant for Slugs and Snails

• cattsandducks
    16 years ago

Alvin,

Thanks for the link re: Caffeine.

I bought some generic caffeine tablets,and mixed five 100mg tablets per 2 cups of water - is this the right ratio? I cannot do the grams/litres thing.

Looking at your previous posts, I think I should have used ten 100 mg tablets to the 2+/- cups of water....

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

So what would be a 2% solution?

• chip02115
    16 years ago

Hmm I really don't know what constitutes 2% caffeine solution. If by weight, then 1 liter water = 1000g, so 2% of 1000g would = 20g (= 200 x 100mg caffeine tablets). So 200 x 100mg tablets to a liter (crazy high!). 1 liter roughly equals 2 cups. That means 100 x 100mg per cup (!!). Granted, I'm not clear what 2% caffeine actually means here these calculations are probably wrong.

I played it by ear and put 5 x 200mg caffeine tablets (10 x 100mg) to a liter (~2 cups). I drank few spoonfuls to make sure it had "kick" - it did - don't try this @ home! Factoring in my mass/volume, I figured my home-brewed solution would have a "kick" (hopefully fatal) also for the tiny snail. Hope this helps! alvin

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

Thanks, for the inf, alvin. Did you get to see them keel over :)

• chip02115
    16 years ago

mehitabel: Alas I didn't see dead snails ... but I had first laundered the plants + dumped old media before marinating plant and new media in caffeine solution. Note to self: Next time, catch live bush snails for caffeine concentration experiment. alvin

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Does anybody know for sure positive if it works to put beer in containers near the plants inside? If so, is there a suggested ratio of containers or surface space of beer or whatever, to shelf space or another measure?

Will the little Bush babies go for the really cheap stuff?

Mehitabel - Wanna video of them drowning?

Thanks, Whitecat8

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Unless you are greenhouse growing, there isn't any need to go crazy about bush snails. They don't live long indoors and drown quite quickly. I've had them and they disappear after a while. Outdoors or in a greenhouse is another story. I've had them come from various nurseries. They do dry up and die inside the house.
    Jane

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Jane,

Really?? That would be a dream come true!

How long does it take for them to disappear? This is my 2nd year with them, and I haven't ordered from Hawaii since fall before last. There have been all sizes, including eensie babies that looked like they just hatched.

Any hope?

WC8

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

WC, are you saying they have lived in your plants over winter? Inside the house? Never happened to me. They disappear, I never paid attention to how long. I soak the pots for a few hours. They float or crawl up the leaves and I knock them off into the water. They drown. Never see them again...till the next order,

Jane

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Snails or not, I love ordering from EEoM (but definitely better without) I repot and soak, so snails do not seem an issue..

Dendrobium Mingle's Sapphire came with flowers..and they are so blue in person (more purple and pinkish in the picture) -- all snails forgiven :)

{{gwi:199546}}

Olya

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Jane - When I ordered from EOoM 2 years ago, I didn't know about the snails. Months later, they showed up first in a plant from another grower who says that's one of the few pests they don't have problems with. A good soaking turned up loads of the beasties.

A few soakings later, no more seemed to be in that plant, but I find them in pots from time to time. Hopefully, there's not a big infestation lurking.

That's interesting that yours don't make it through the winter. I'll start believing that and maybe it'll work! Thanks.

Olya, your Den is gorgeous. It reminds me of my Den ceraula (gonzalesii), only your flowers look larger.

Whitecat8

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Olya, I got that plant too. Mine also blooming. I love it! I just hope I can keep it alive. I do fine with the phal type dends, but my track record isn't great with other dends. Do you know how to grow this pretty little thing? Any tips to offer?

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

WC, I am a bad waterer, so my plants tend to grow on the dry side. I also don't use a lot of sphag, so I think the beasties just dry up. I have a very inhospitable environment for them. A greenhouse, high humidity and damp potting media would make them happy. I have none of the above.

Jane

• highjack
    16 years ago

I finally got all my EOoM plants barerooted, cleaned and repotted and found nary a nail. My Den. macrophyllum was so pot bound I had to cut the pot off. There was so little medium in the plant, there was no room for one to move into the pot.

I usually recycle all my potting medium back into my gardens but this all went into the trash. I don't know if those snails can survive in my zone 6 garden but slugs certainly can and I don't want to introduce another irritant to my hosta.

Brooke

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

I've never seen a bush snail or slug in any of the plants I have received from EOOM over the years.

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Jane - I'm a (barely) recovering underwaterer LOL but I use a lot of sphag, so maybe that explains the difference. All those Phals in sphag - Whitecat8

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!