SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billinpa

pond design question

16 years ago

In the past I have had a few preformed ponds. In my new house with over an acre I have room to construct my own.

I have a few questions with design ideas.

I am thinking I would like to include a bog garden as well as the typical pond,stream and waterfalls.

Is it possible to have the pond overflow into a bog area. The bog area would be liner underneath some sort of substrait. Not sure on what to use as media in the bog? Also would you preferr to seperate the bog from the pond or allow a small water access point for the fish to move back and forth if they wish. Will the ph of the bog affect the pond in a negative manner. I do not plan on haveing a filter or pump in the bog portion. I am worried about skeeters. Thats why I was thinking about allowing the fish to move back and forth. At the same time I am worried the growing media would work its way back into the pond,clogging filters and decaying on the bottom.

Or I could lower the level of the bog and have a dry stream bed to allow overflow into the bog area during rains or topping off the water level. In this case I would worry about the possiblity of a skeeter breeding ground.

I the area is a slight hill maybe only a few degrees grade. So both options are very do able at this point.

Comments (4)