SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red_eared_slider86

Unknown shrub with invasive underground runners

red_eared_slider86
13 years ago

What the heck is this thing? This shrub has been in my front garden for years. A neighbor was discarding it, and we had a spot for it, so we took it. I've tried various online search engines with no luck.

It's actually quite pretty. Leaves mature to a bright green, but new leaves are yellow and orange/red. New growth looks delicate and willowy, which is what attracted me to it in the first place. It tolerates drastic pruning, though I prefer to let it look a little more natural. It makes tiny white blooms (in the spring, I think), and little red berries (in the winter, again, I think).

The problem with it -- and this is probably why the neighbor was getting rid of it -- is that it sends out underground runners, which in turn send up a new plant. I shudder to think of how much it would spread if I left it unchecked! I have to check for new upshoots every week or so during the summer growing season.

I was considering getting rid of it because of this invasive nature, but I've recently discovered that the foliage makes an attractive cutting to bring indoors and put in a vase.

Image link:

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting