SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Pruning, weeding, mulching

melissa_thefarm
12 years ago

It's that time of year. I've been busy since November digging up dock, layering dirt and hay, and mulching with hay, in an attempt to enrich our gray clay and get this fall's roses off to a better start than those planted the last few years: bigger holes, more sand and compost added, and mini-terracing of individual plants, trying both to slow down runoff and improve drainage. I've been working not only on the many roses we planted this fall, but on roses planted in earlier years but on which we did a poor job. We'll see how it works in a few years' time.

The weather is beautiful and frightening: day after day clear, sunny, with frost at night in the cooler areas, warming to a fine mild day. It doesn't rain. We had one deluge at the start of November, and thank goodness, because we haven't had more than a quarter inch of precipitation since then, during what is normally our rainy season. 2011 was a dry hot year. If we don't get some very serious rain before summer, the drought this year could put 2003 to shame. Never have I been so glad that we don't water our established plants. And clay is great!! Temperatures are due to drop in a week or so, with a possibility of a bit of snow, so at least we'll have something that resembles winter at last. My chief worry concerning a drought next summer is all the plants we planted this fall--we do water them the first year after planting--especially the dozens of roses I grew from cuttings over the previous year.

We enlarged our garden significantly over the last year, and I am realizing that we finally have more garden than my husband and I can maintain. Fortunately, this garden can stand considerable neglect: it's not critical that I get around to every task in every bed annually. I've been working recently cleaning up an older section largely planted in Teas. This section, which has always been difficult, experienced a significant land slump two or three years ago, and I was so discouraged at that point that I haven't done a thorough cleanup of the area since. Working through it now, I realize that soil there actually isn't all that bad--probably the result of heaving mulching with hay in previous years, plus a lot of planting. I pulled out dead weeds, trimmed the hyssop, lavender, and caryopteris, cut dead and dying growth off the roses, rooted out patches of Bermuda grass and a similar pest grass with my trusty fork, and saw a not-unpromising section of garden when I was done.

This mild dry weather, however dangerous its medium-term consequences, has been good for the warm climate roses. We had two or three years of very rainy winters, with long periods of steadily dark and chilly weather. This weather combined with our very heavy, hardly-improved soil, I believe was the cause of much cankering and general weakness of our Tea roses lately--certainly they looked far more thriving a few years ago. But now that we are back in a dry sunny period, the Teas are picking up once again. My gardening goal is to arrive at the point in which the soil will be heavy enough, terraced enough, and sufficiently mulched to retain water, but also have the soil well-enough amended with organic matter that plants don't die from drowning. It's hard to drown roses, but I lost my beloved but struggling 'Susan Louise' this way last year.

I think how I used to mulch with hay was wrong. I put it down in thick swaths, thinking to smother the weeds and add large amounts of organic matter, as well as keeping the soil cool and moist, etc. Wrong, partly. Water couldn't get through, so in some cases the ground underneath the thick layer of hay was dry. And I think this thick mulching actually encouraged the development of bindweed, and possibly wild onion, which is a plague here, as well. And Bermuda grass can creep under it. Now I layer the hay more thinly, and I break it up so that small herbaceous plants can grow up through it, and rain can get through. I want that cover of little annual plants: veronica, geranium, spurge, even annual grasses. I figured it out a few years ago: if annual grasses get established in the beds, growing and dying every year, the beds are mulching themselves, and I don't have to do a thing! Roots penetrate the soil, loosening it, and enriching it with organic matter when the plants die, and the soil remains undisturbed, allowing the microlife to develop. And I think the basic clay is mineral rich. Of course not everyone wants grass in their rose beds, but my garden is pretty wild looking anyway. I don't mind. As the roses grow, I think they'll shade out the grasses more and the organic matter will come more from prunings and leaf drop. This fall I'm mulching only in areas with very heavy soil and not already having a good cover of pleasant annual plants.

What with the weather being about to turn cold, and my realizing that it's January! midwinter! I turned recently to pruning the roses, principally the once-blooming ones that aren't likely to leap into growth during a warm spell. The Tea and Tea-Noisette climbers and most of the Pemberton musks are going to wait until March. Most of the once-blooming roses of European origin look happy. The roses in the shade garden look very happy. In our dry summer climate with its long, long summer days, almost all the roses like some shade, and the Gallicas in particular like the cooler and moister parts of the garden (also the Hybrid Musks greatly prefer this area). I like this group, with its low thicket of upright suckering stems, rough foliage, fragrant buds. Frequent thornlessness, good fall color, robust health, everything about the Gallicas is full of interest and pleasure. They're not just about flowers, even though these are wonderful. I'm happy when I see a grafted plant taking off on its own roots. So I've been pruning them, discovering (gack!) just how many roses I have around the place. Today I plan on finishing up the shade garden by pruning thorny 'Queen of Denmark' and 'Belle Amour', then continuing on with the roses tucked in the back of the propagating beds. These will be the end of the roses to prune that are located in cold spots, and perhaps I'll be able to get out and prune in the sunny garden during the cold weather that's on the way. The chopped up prunings are of course going back onto the beds as part of the mulch--a thorny one to be sure.

Comments?

Melissa

Comments (38)