SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaylah_gw

History's Mysteries-the Bourbon roses of Reunion Island

kaylah
14 years ago

You know me-always messing where I shouldn't be messing. I got to thinking about the roses hedges which were supposed to encircle the fields on Reunion Island. It didn't make sense. Why would you go to the extra work? A row of Quatre Saison Damask, then another row of a tea rose. These aren't nasty thorny roses like the hedgerows of rosa elganteria in England. Was it one man's nostalgia? For perfume? There's quite a perfume industry on Reunion Island.

All winter long I looked up pictures of Reunion Island. What a beautiful place, like Montana as a jungle. The water falls that cascade off the cliffs and the French Creole houses can only be found at the end of nasty little switchback roads. Their gardens are a full of flowers, but I never saw any roses. Bouganvillea and hydrangeas, mostly. While I was opening websites, I stumbled upon the posts of a man named Jacques who lives on Reunion Island . So I wrote to him. This is what he said: "Hi Deb,

Well no, I never saw fields hedged with roses here...this might have been the case in some parts of the island, probably at higher elevations as roses would not do very well on the very tropical coasts, either too dry or too wet. The only place where there are what looks like roses turned wild are at Plaine des Caffres, on the road to the volcano at some 1000 m high."

Well, I told him this story was in all the rose books and he ought to check it out. His own stories of Reunion Island are quite fascinating, but I cannot link them here. It's blocked. Competition, you know?

Comments (9)