SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Air Bubbles in Priming Pot

jalal
13 years ago

I have done some plumbing changes on my pond this year. I'm running a Sequel 750 pump (4350 gph). Settling chamber is 300 gals. Pond volume including filters/sc 3000gals.

I added a 3" mid water drain that extends out into the pond about 2 ft before going through the pond wall into the settling chamber. Also changed out the "dome" on the retrofit bottom drain so that it is an open bowl (previously had used a Tetra through the liner bottom drain bowl for my drain) and made this drain into a 4" drain to the settling chamber. Drain is reduced to 3" just before the knife valve 8" from the settling chamber wall. Discharge from the settling chamber is a 2" line slightly uphill with a 22degree fitting just before the line goes into the priming pot/leaf strainer which is attached directly to the pump. Distance from sc to strainer basket is about 18" straight run.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not but when I turned on the pump there are alot of air bubbles in the top of the strainer basket. Oh and when I opened up the sc line ball valve to the strainer basket I had the lid off and water went everywhere(pump wasn't on). If I run the pump on full output I get way more bubbles in the strainer basket--almost like water boiling and the water level in the priming pot drops about 2" from the top. With the two drain lines into the settling chamber I am only getting an inch of draw down. Draw down doesn't change if the pump output ball valve is on full or reduced. Is the pump too big or is there air getting in somewhere? The pump is only drawing from the sc now (previous was sc and skimmer--skimmer line is now on old Sequence pump--no problems)

Comments (7)