SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denverponder

Does this filter/pump setup make sense?

denverponder
15 years ago

Last summer I put in a small pond (90 gal) and midway through the summer, I got tired of the pre-filter falling off and/or needing cleaning 2-3 times a week. I ended up putting the pump into a plant basket and covering it with some strong fibrous "mesh" (bought it from the pond guy - swamp cooler pad?) covering the top. It worked GREAT for the rest of the summer.

At one point in reading through various forums over the winter, someone suggested this arrangement adding bio-balls in the basket in front of the pump inlet and filling the remainder of the basket with more mesh/batting. Now I can't seem to find the post and am not sure if it is a worthwhile thing to do in my 90 gal pond.

Why do I think I might want to do this? Last year did go pretty well with good water clarity. I have a fountain and falls, hyacinths(thinned through year), parrot feather, anacris and a handful of goldfish. I am having a bit of a good algae boom and quite a bit of small particle sludginess (just bought some MicrofLift SludgeAway) as things warm up in Colorado, which is probably normal. I'm just looking for options that will improve my pond, but if this really isn't going to do anything, I don't want to waste the money.

Comment (1)