SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ted3_gw

Please tell me what to do with this 'POND'???

Ted3
12 years ago

We recently moved and inherited a pond - kind of. The water in question might actually be termed a reflecting pool, or even just an overgrown mud puddle. I'm not sure what to call it, and of course, my camera is acting up so pictures aren't an option right now.

It is about 20' in diameter when full, almost a perfect circle. The edges are only a few inches deep, the center is perhaps 18". I am not sure if it is a natural feature, or if someone actually dug it many years ago. There are some huge granite and moss-spotted stones nearby, as well as mature pines, which appear to have been placed there intentionally. Its very Zen in effect.

The problem is, even though the pool has some wild "pond lettuce" (looks like pale green silver dollars)and algae growing in it, it seems to dry out very quickly. Today it was down to around 12' in diameter. Just eleven days ago we had three days straight of very heavy rain, and it was pretty well filled.

My question is this - is there anything worthwhile to try and keep this little pond? I have zero experience, and want to ask here to get unbiased advice (unlike the handyman kind -"sure, I can fix that!") The water is brackish right now and seems only useful as a mosquito breeding ground. I was planning on adding some mosquito-eating small fish, but after seeing how quickly it lost diameter I am afraid even very small fish won't survive.

Right now, I am leaning towards filling it in, but that has brought howls from the rest of the family who think it might be salvageable. So please, if you have any advice, let me know.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting