SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdrums55

Edge of pond groundcover

timbersmith
14 years ago

Hey All,

When it comes to the edges of your ponds, what plants have you had success with for a ground cover-type job? I just finished re-doing a 3' section of my pond edge, and would kinda like to have something that would fill in around the terrestrial plants and hide the rocks a bit. I was thinking something like Oregano, but I wasn't sure about any other options (Sedum or other succulents wouldn't work in the planned surroundings). The "mulch" around the pond is orangish-tan gravel.

The section of edging that I re-did currently has some aquatic irises (a red, a white, and a black) in the water, a rock border covering the edge of the liner, and a stand of Crocosmia "Lucifer" bulbs that I just finished planting. I plan on putting some non-variegated Acorus next to the irises (the foliage should be extremely similar to the Crocosmia, so theoretically it should help mask the water's edge), and some Pennywort for in-pond pot cover. I can re-direct some of the Pennywort over and in-between the rocks, but wasn't sure if there was a good companion to the Pennywort, or if it would do just fine if I planted some out of the water.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (8)