SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Rose Ready For The Garden Tour

Time to come out of the shadows and post once more. Yes, I'm a chronic lurker, but love to read the posts and see the photos.

Its funny how a few hundred kilometers of distance can make such a difference to the rose growing season. I've been viewing all the posts over the past few weeks from New York and New Hampshire with tales of 30 days of rain and washed out bloom cycles. I'm a few hundred kilometers North of Lake Placid, 3 hrs drive, and yes it has been wet here, but the rain comes and goes as does the sun. It has also been cooler here by 3 or 4 degrees than normal, and my roses are loving it.

The first flush is almost over, but there are still lots of blooms and many roses are close to being ready to put on a second show. Yes, I have had some balled blooms and had to stake a few plants, but overall, this is the best rose season I have had in Eastern Canada.

Tomorrow is the local Garden Tour and once again we have been asked to participate. Our garden is now 8 years old. It is not only roses by any means, lots of perenials, quite a few annuals over the past two years, and Dahlias and Peonies for mass colour when the roses are not at their peak.

I have been replacing roses that were not performing for the past few years, including those that are prone to blackspot here. Even though it has been a damp cooler season, I have yet to see any blackspot in my no spray roses, of which I have approximately 80 bushes and over 60 varieties.

So here are a few shots of the old homestead, all trim and manicured for garden tour day. Happy, happy rose gardening.

{{gwi:215583}}

Southeast view of the side yard.

{{gwi:215584}}

Break O'Day, a Brownell HT that I love very much. Salvias, Blue Hill and Snow Hill behind.

{{gwi:215585}}

Front yard and North side of the House

{{gwi:215586}}

Probably the best repeat blooming climbing rose for northern gardens, Northern Encore, very hard to find, bred by Jerry Twomey, but not marketed before his death. This is after dead heading at the end of the bloom cycle. It will rebloom in two to three weeks. Cold zone gardeners need this rose.

{{gwi:215587}}

Lilian Austin is a cold zone treasure

{{gwi:215588}}

The Pilgrim, less than two feet tall in zone 4, but I love him anyways and he reblooms well.

{{gwi:215590}}

Prairie Harvest, a fabulous yellow rose by Dr. Buck, healthy, good rebloom and vigorous in zone 4.

{{gwi:215591}}

Bredon, another old English Rose by David Austin that I would not be without. Good for the front of the bed, or in a pot, small very pretty flowers with very good rebloom and tough in zone 4.

{{gwi:215592}}

Charles Darwin, another zone 4 standout, bushy, lots of rebloom, fragrant long lasting flowers that fade to the colour of antique lace. Good for cutting, have a bunch in a vase with Folksinger and Evelyn right now.

{{gwi:215594}}

Prairie Sunrise, another Buck classic that looks like an Austin. Very healthy and very hardy.

Wishing you all a summer that is as rosy as mine.

Cheers,

Rideau Rose Lad

Comments (22)