SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

How to Make THE Floating Island

15 years ago

Floating Islands are very expspensive. The size I wanted was $189 at the Garden Center. So I made a pretty good replica - the biggest difference is that mine are blue and the Islands are black. You can paint yours if it matters to you. I used a little green spray paing to cover the great stuff that showed.

The materials: Washable furnace filter from Home Depot, Small Cable Ties and Great Stuff Window Foam (Not the Gaps and Crack filler- it is not as good). Spray paint - color green or black.

{{gwi:195322}}

Take TWO furnace filters ($5 each) and use the cable ties to hem them together. Add two in the middle some where as well. Next cut out circles where you want the plants to go. Then use the Great Stuff and fill it in avoiding the holes. I finished Islands with one can.

{{gwi:195323}}

{{gwi:195324}}

Take the spray paint and hit the great stuff that shows thru. I used green. Next add plants and an anchor to keep it from going in your skimmer. I used Savio Springflow, but fishing line would work too. I want my fish to avoid the line so I like that they can see it.

{{gwi:195325}}

{{gwi:195326}}

Regards,

Lisa

Comments (27)