SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Morton 'Solar' salt in my freshwater pond?

lisa11310
16 years ago

Hello again. I asked for advise on treating my pond for ich. I am just not sure that is whats going on and I do not want to treat with anything harsh until I KNOW what is going on. To recap. 500 gals, bio filter, 2 smaller upper ponds with waterfalls. Pond just thawed out last week and the pump and filter are up and running again. Been doing daily waterchanges of about 10% after the initial 1/3. I have well water, nothing has been added to the water. These are various Gold fish from 8 or more years to last years babies. 15 ..now 14 fish in the pond. I could see one sitting on the bottom leaning against a flower pot a week before the pond thawed completely. It has died, there are 2 more sitting on the bottom of the pond. I though I saw ich spots but further inspection I don't see any, however it does look as if there is some fin damage and a little extra milky slime on the tails. I spoke to the closest ponding place (75 miles) and was told to put 15 lbs of Morton Solar salt in the pond for 2 weeks, Then do a 50% water change. I talked to the people at Kordon and they said I needed to do the Rid Ich + for days and days and a daily waterchange. That would be a heck of a lot of money! We had the coldest winter since I have been here (4 yrs. Can somebody tell me if the salt is safe and if it might solve the problem not knowing WHAT the problem is. I am sorry if this has been addressed in other threads but we are stuck with the slowest dial up known to man and it would take days to find an answer. Thank You

Comments (6)