SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmcguinn1

pond pump and filter confusion, help please!!!

tmcguinn1
16 years ago

I'm so confused! Last year, we installed a small (525 gal) pond/fountain on our terrace. It has a waterfall feature, and the contractor installed a pump to run this. No filter. The pump (Beckett w1150) died within months and he installed another last june which burned out a month ago. In the meantime, I realized that this size pond NEEDS a filter and got a small Beckett filter with pump (inside filter) which I ran separately to help clean the pond. This worked fairly weel, although I still got algae.

Since the last pump died, I realized something is very wrong and emptied the pond of all water and rock from the bottom. I am trying to figure out the best way to piece it back together correctly, but am having quite a bit of trouble. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

The pond is oval, about 9' x 4'. It is about 2 1/2' deep throughout. The distance from the top of the water to the spillway is about 3'. The spillway is 24" across. The bottom is covered in small river rock about 2" deep. It is painted (drylock) dark gray. The piping to the spillway is 2" piping to the top. There is an elbow at the bottom where the pump connected and at the top forcing the water onto the spillway. It is an above ground, masonry pond in full sun, although the wall with the piping provides a very slight bit of shade to the water. I keep little 12 cent feeder fish in it just for fun.

I need to use submersible equipment as there is really no place to hide the equipment outside the pond and drilling more holes for piping through the walls may cause cracks from vibrations.

Many questions I can't seem to answer in my research!

-What size pump do I need?

-Can I use one pump for both the filter and the waterfall or would the waterfall pump needed be too large a pump for the size filter I need?

-What size filter do I need?

-In what order do I hook everything up?

-Do I need a UV clarifier and if so, do I need an extra pump for that and where does this go in the lineup!?

-Brand recommendations for all this equipment would be so nice!

-Any plant recommendations for this set up for the SE pennsylvania area (in case I get this all put back together!)?

I realize this is a lot of information I am asking for, but obviously I got it all wrong the first time, and I'd really rather not wind up with a huge tree planter in the middle of my terrace! It really is a beautiful little pond when it's running properly and brings me and the neighbors a great deal of joy!

Thank you all for any help you can give me!!! :-)

Comments (5)