SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgeca

Toad and Skimmer

mgeca
15 years ago

Hi - I just started my pond, and within 2 days I had an American toad (as far as I can tell)in residence, trilling away. As I tried to determine its location, I discovered it in my skimmer. I removed it twice (easy to pick up) and put it in a pool in a stream, lots of rocks, and each time it returned to the skimmer. It has a nice perch in there, but the water flow is quite heavy and there is a 2" suction pipe at the bottom of the skimmer (about two feet below the toad). I worry it will be sent to the pump or may not be able to swim out when a suitable mate starts returning the call.

Although I know this subject has been addressed, GW can't call up any previous posts right now so I can't find out what is the best course of action. I prefer to leave it alone but this is not nature taking its course in this setting. Or, I could remove and screen off the front of the skimmer until it settles elsewhere. What's good for my toad? I want to adapt to its behavior patterns if prudent. We like the love call.

Thanks.

Comments (4)