SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pollywoggin

Identifying Tadpoles

15 years ago

I originally posted this with the other tadpole question, but thought again...it should really have a seperate title. The USGS has a huge, searchable database, including plants, animals, fish, and other biological creatures from all over North America. I find it very useful, and hope you do too :) Nicci

This is for all who wish to properly identify a tadpole:

Go to: http://biology.usgs.gov/ Then click on "Status & Trends" circular photo as a link. Then look to top menu, mouseover 'Taxa/Organisms', and 'Amphibians' right under it. Then you'll see a sidebar...click on 'Frogs and toads'.

There are 3 pages. You'll scroll until you find the link

'Tadpoles of North America and Canada' (currently, it is on page 2 of 3 near bottom. There will be a picture of a tadpole next to the link. You will see blue LINKS. click on families, etc. until you see tadpole pictures. Every single frog/toad/tadpole in North America is in this database, small tadpole pictures can be clicked for enlargement. :)

I hope this helps. Many frogs are now endangered, even ones you thought were common only a few years ago. please save a tadpole today!!!!!! :)

Pollywoggin (THE KEEPER of frogs:)

Nicci

Comment (1)