SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Whatcha have for Breakfast?

calliope
14 years ago

I've been working on getting the house in order to shut it up for winter, and have been packing books away and straightening up the bookcases. My mother had a prize cooking book, and I pulled it out, because this particular book was mentioned on another forum I frequent. It's called the White House Cook Book, and the particular edition I have is copyrighted first in 1887 and again in 1891. These were given by merchants as advertising gimmicks to their customers. Not bad, considering it's a five hundred page tome. The preface section has a photograph of the 'Bride of the Whitehouse'.......Francis Folsom Cleveland.

There is a section on how to plan menus for every day off the week in each month. Just for grins, I turned to a Thursday in October and this is what a housewife might be expected to serve for the day. Martha Stewart, move over. You have been topped.

Breakfast

Baked quinces......... Broiled grouse

Boiled rice........... Potatoes a la creme

Raised muffins.......Dry toast....... and coffee

Lunch

Veal croquettes.......... Cheese souffle

Potato Salad..... Buns

Grape Pie.... and tea

Dinner

Swiss White Soup......... Pot Roast

Steamed Potatoes

Lima Beans ..... French Cabbage

Lettuce salad

Plum Puff Pudding......... Blanc Mange

Dominoes......... Fruit........ and Coffee

My g'mother was a young woman when people ate like this. My father remembers her cooking like this when he was a child. She had ten children and they were all pressed into service in the household to allow her to spend most of her time having and tending babies, and cooking. My g'father's wages went straight to the table, and every hobo had her number.

Mama said she'd start all over from scratch the next day, and left-overs, if they weren't taken home by an adult child, were pitched. So, I can tell you that people did indeed cook like this. (or at least some of them)

This is a wonderful reference book, because it can tell you how to make the most basic ingredient from scratch. Exuse me now, as I have to shoot a grouse for tomorrow's breakfast, and find four calve's hooves to render down for some lemon jelly. rofl.

BTW, I don't even eat breakfast.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions