SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Need creative advice in joining exit stream to pond - same level

njbiology
11 years ago

Hi,

Years ago, I built a 35' long x 5' deep pond. These last two days, I dug out a 3' wide x 2' deep exit stream which is completely and unchangingly level with the pond. I do not want a two-teir upper/lower pond system.

I cannot seal the two liners: there is too much wear and debris on the pond's liner, for one; and I do not want to risk the sealant eventually leaking.

I have three ideas:

1. Run two separate flexible (for winter - when the pipe nearest to the water-surface will freeze) 4"wide pipes from the main pond, through a narrow piece of ground and then into the exit stream, and cover this over with a narrow foot-bridge so that it has the appearance of being contiguous.

2. I've never heard of this, but I don't see why it won't work - as long as there is enough pressure (enough weight - depth and width of exit stream): over lay the stream's liner over the pond's liner for about 2' so that the bottom's of both the pond and stream are level - that a natural seal due to water-weight/pressure (being 2' deep and 3' wide, approximately). I do not know if the weight of the water would evenly distribute all over the surface of the stream's liner, causing an impenetrable seal due to weight. Maybe this would work... but when it rains, I get a lot of ground water.. I think that the (dirty) ground water would force its way into the pond when it the pressure in the ground exceeds the pressure from the water's weight in the pond/stream. SO, I guess this won't work for either the primary or secondary, or both reasons.

3. I wonder if this would work: flush the upward facing ends of both the pond liner and the stream liner abutting eachother. Get two rubber frames of equal proportion in shape of a box or, preferably, a big circle - this would be at least 12". Using stainless steal screws, lock the frame of the stream to the frame of the pond and then cut out the center. That's essentially how bottom drains are installed... too bad you'd need to find just the right set up.

Thank you,

Steve

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer