SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttkidd

orchid mounting question

ttkidd
15 years ago

I think most people when mounting an orchid look at it from the angle of "ÂIÂve got this orchid and I want to mount it". IÂm in a somewhat different situation, having acquired a particular piece of freshwater cypress driftwood, and want to find an orchid to mount on it. What IÂm asking for is interesting suggestions on what I can do.

First the wood: ItÂs a cypress wood knot with natural holes going all the way through it that would be perfect for filling with some kind of light medium (ie: sphag). The knot itself is about 6"tall x 4"wide x 3"deep with two holes about 1" in diameter. Extending at an angle from the top of the knot is a wing-like projection another 7" long. It also has a stable base, so IÂm not looking to hang it.

It will be growing indoors under a 4Â x 4lamp T5 fixture, and as it will be my only mounted orchid (so far), I donÂt mind having to mist/water it a few times a day.

IÂm looking for suggestions on what would look good and do well with this particular setup. Also, anything that I should absolutely not do.

Are there any additional details I should be considering so that this experiment ends successfully?

Thanks

Tyler

Comments (49)

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Firstly, you need someone to tell you if freshwater cypress driftwood makes a good mount or not. Some types of wood are not attractive to orchid roots.

Tried and true mount materials, cork, very old weathered wood, treefern, grape cuttings.

Live trees..... palm, citrus, etc etc.

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input :) I know it's not the perfect mounting material, but it is used often in terrarium settings for mounting orchids and other epiphytes. It holds up well to frequent waterings and is naturally resistant to moulds/fungus/rotting. It also has plenty of crags and crevices for roots to get into. I've done some research, and know it can be used...I'm just looking for ideas on how to best go about doing it.

Tyler

• Related Discussions

How to dis-mount an orchid?

Q

Comments (7)
    I assume that by asking this you know that it will accept being potted? Some plants don't readily accept being potted if they prefer being mounted. I know nothing about the plant in question, but felt that I should point that out. Also since you ask about what to pot it in, I hope that you have researched enough to know what type of media will be acceptable to this plant for potting. Not every plant will accept every type of media. For example, I use sphag, s/h, and bark mixes, depending upon the plant. One ang is 'potted' in loose crumbled tree fern in a clay pot, in a tray of water. The roots immediately died if I did anything more 'potted'. How tightly attached are the roots to the mount? If tightly attached, then wetfeet is right on, with mounting it. But if the plant is just tied to the mount, and no roots are actually attached to the wood, then you can just cut the lines, and pot it in whatever is the appropriate media for it's roots and your watering habits.
    ...See More

Watering mounted orchids

Q

Comments (7)
    I grow in my home also and most of my mounties are small. So I water every 2-3 days in my sink in the winter. I may soak them every other week of so in the a pasta pot if i remember. Some orchids are more drought tolerant than others and do better mounted without a greenhouse. I dont really bother with soaking these. For example my Leptotes bicolor does very well on its mount. However someone gave me a mounted Phal mariae this summer. It will likely be a challenge in the winter. What are you growing on mounts? This post was edited by Greencurls on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 7:14
    ...See More

mounting orchids

Q

Comments (8)
    There is an orchid society in Jacksonville and according to google would be a 40-45 minute drive. Meetings are second Tuesday of every month and they have an annual orchid show in March. www.jaxorchidsociety.org Orchids that hang down are Coelogyne, Cycnoches, and many others but I think what you are specifically looking for are stanhopeas. Stanhopeas are wonderful and many are fragrant but the flowers last no more than a week. Orchids that grow best mounted are ones that absolutely must dry out between waterings. Can all epiphytic orchids be grown on a mount? Probably but some would have to be watered so often that it becomes unworkable and besides having a bunch of mounted orchids limits the number of plants one can grow. Most orchids just grow better in a pot and the reason is pot culture enables you to recreate that high level of humidity around the roots that they receive in nature. Which ever situation (pot or mounted) is best for the plant is best for flower production. Maryanne is right about Laelia anceps, it is probably the best starter mounted orchid and you can keep it outdoors all year. It tolerates lots of sun and rain in summer and temps into the 20's (when acclimated) in winter. As long as it stays outdoors from summer through winter it will handle a hard frost. They tend to bloom in late fall to early winter and are commonly sold at orchid shows or online.
    ...See More

How can I mount an orchid? What do you use to mount orchids?

Q

Comments (0)
    Mounting orchids is a simple process. First, I would suggest applying the hanger to your mounting material. Most people make hangers for the mounts from wire. The most common wire used is the wire used for hanging suspended ceilings, but any strong, yet flexible wire may be used. One method is to bend the wire into a u shape, and then hammer the wire into the mount. The other method is to drill a hole or two and thread it through the mount. Making a tag with a hole and threading it onto the hanger is a wise thing to do to identify the plant. A tag made from Tyvek scraps and permanent marker may be used if you dont have any fancier material. Orchids to be mounted are placed on the mounting material which has been soaked in water (I like to leave it over night). Some people put a pad of good quality sphagnum moss on the mount then place the roots on top of itallowing the roots to spread first into the sphag. Before it goes into the mount thereby helping it get established. Others prefer to place the plant directly on the mount, or to put the sphag pad on the outside. The plant is then tied into the mount, by wrapping monofilament (fishing line), twist tie, or panty hose around the roots. Once the plants roots have grown into the mount, the line, twist ties, or panty hose is removed. Tree fern plaques (or slabs), and cork bark are probably the most commonly used mounting material, but other materials include cactus skeletons, and rough driftwood (both of which may be purchased at pet stores as they are used for reptiles). Some people like to use slabs of wood with bark attachedsuch as live oak or fir. Fresh water driftwood may be used, but driftwood from saltwater bodies must be washed to remove the salt. Using Physan to kill any bad things on collected mounts is also a good idea. Driftwood as a whole may not be the best material as orchids like to have a somewhat rough surface to grow into. One grower uses paint sticks for some of his smaller mounts. Tree fern slabs are probably the most quickly drying. Vary your mounting material to the plants needs. Plants needing a quicker dry-out should be mounted on a more porous material and the sphagnum or coir pad may be skipped.
    ...See More
  • orchidnick
    15 years ago

The only thing to avoid is driftwood from the ocean shore as its salt laden and needs to be leached first. I have a cattleya growing in an old tennis shoe, just for fun and also to demonatrate to people that they will grow on absolutely anything, all the plant wants from the mount is to keep it from falling on the floor.

I don't use moss or anything else with my mounts, the roots will take care of water uptake needs. If the plant needs more water it will grow more roots. The other thing I avoid is fishing line. Whatever you use to hold the plant in place will come off in a year if you are growing the plant right. Fishing line is a pain in the butt for me, I prefer broad training wire, softer, broader, won't cut into the plant or the new growth and in a year it all comes off anyway. No one is going to look at the plant in this first year as its just getting started with new growth and probably no flowers yet.

I don't know how big overall this thing is, it does not sound to be too big. When mounting your plant, the paramount thing to keep in mind is how big will it get and how will it look by the time it first blooms, which is also the first time someone is seriously going to look at it. You can tell which direction its growing, one cute trick is to mount it behind the viewing area with the new growth just jutting out, as it develops all the new foliage will be up front. Try to see a mature plant of the type you are considering. Some grow roots that hang down like a beard, others send roots tightly adherent to the mount in all directions. Thin rooted plants, like some of the Oncidiums, can be mounted but their roots never seem to join up with the mount. By observing the finished product you can decide whether you'll like the end result in your case.

From what you are describing I would mount a Minicatt. The other consideration would be a creeping species which would eventually envelop the mount like Porpax.

Nick

• wetfeet101b
    15 years ago

Your driftwood dimensions are relatively small.
    You might be limited to mini orchids, or perhaps some hard cane dendrobiums that keep a relatively small footprint.

Try to scout around for orchids that you think will complement your driftwood's shape and size and also consider the long term growth habit of the plant.
    Some orchids might look great on the driftwood the first year they are mounted, but soon overwhelm the driftwood and the driftwood disappears in a ball of leaves and roots.

• highjack
    15 years ago

Look at the Tolumnia family. The species should be perfect under your T5's and only need watering once a day.

Brooke

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Nick makes a good point re: roots. Cattleya schilleriana is a particularly fine example. It grows layers of roots upon roots upon.....

That's one reason why repotting isn't always the best strategy. Blind culture advice which advocates repotting every one or every two years is exactly that--blind.

--Stitz--

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Nick - Do you, by chance, have a photo of your Catt growing in the tennis shoe? That sounds incredibly interesting! I love the look of containers or mounts made from things you wouldn't expect! I would love to see your tennis shoe!

I don't have any mounted orchids... yet. I believe my growing environment is too dry for successful growing of mounted plants. But since we're erecting a greenhouse next year, I'm interested to see and learn about the process, and to find out which orchids are preferred specimens.

• jamcm
    15 years ago

Tyler, the easiest thing all around might be to take your piece of driftwood to one of the many great vendors in your area and ask them for recommendations. I'd recommend Orchids in our Tropics (call them - their website is very static and does not accurately reflect their stock) and Cloud's Orchids right off the bat. Both have websites. Flora Peculia has lots of odder things (no website, but his contact info is on the COC website) and Tropical Orchids has some nice things too, way more than he lists on his website.

Hope this helps!

Julie

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks :) Other than size considerations, is there any type of orchid you would definately not mount on something like this? A couple posts mentioned orchids overwhelming the mount which got me thinking of orchids that don't spread so much...ie: monopodial growth...

Nick: I too would love to see a picture of the orchid growing in the shoe. Lots of great tips. Thanks.

Julie: Funny, but I just submitted an order to Cloud's Orchids last week for 9 orchids. They're scheduled for shipment on August 11th, so it's probably not too late if I were to call them up tomorrow to slip something else into the shipment.

Tyler

• richardol
    15 years ago

Any orchid will grow too big for a mount eventually, so don't worry too much about that. Go with a plant that doesn't need to be evenly wet. My favorite is mini-catts, SLC particularly. They have nice color, don't get too big and will stay nice on the mount for several years.

Hint: start with a plant that looks a little too small on the mount.

• treehaus
    15 years ago

I have a question (hopefully not a stupid one): what makes an orchid too big for its mount? It seems more obvious to me how a potted plant can become too big for its pot, but I don't have a lot of experience with mounted orchids (I have only one - Brassavola nodosa). How do you make the call to divide or remount a mounted orchid?

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

I live in cypress driftwood lala land - a Florida swamp. I have many orchids mounted on scraps I've collected up. Cattleya and family seem really fond of cypress. Dendrobium also does well on cypress. Phalaenopsis LOVES the stuff. It holds moisture long enough for roots to soak up all they can, and then slowly dries out. I love the it for mounting orchids. It lasts a long time - and holds up very well. This is a SLC seedling mounted to this cypress knee several months ago. You can see the roots grab really nicely and hold the plant firmly in place.
    Good luck with yours!!
    Pat....
    Front...
    {{gwi:192057}}
    Back...
    {{gwi:192058}}

• paul_
    15 years ago

How about a pic from a few angles of your piece, Tyler?

You might also check out Andy's Orchids for plant ideas. Be forewarned ... leave your wallet and credit cards in the hands of someone who will keep them safely locked away until you regain some self control. LOL

Unlike Nick, I find that I HAVE to use moss with just about all my mounts. They simply dry out way too fast otherwise -- especially in the winter when the humidity drops as low as 20%.

I would probably go with Brooke's recommendation of a Tol. or perhaps a minicatt or Den unicum.

• richardol
    15 years ago

{{gwi:192060}}While I love the format I have only two table top mounts because of the space they take.

This one has a full size BLC on it. I started with a seedling and it took 4 years to bloom. The picture is from a year ago. It has one new growth and is not yet blooming this year. It ought to be able to continue for another few years, but I think that it will continue to look in proportion for another couple of years.

I used a small amount of sphagnum at first. It might have developed faster if I had used a bit more, but I love the look of wood and roots together without medium.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Wow! Look at all those fat, healthy roots! Nice photo, pcan! I always enjoy seeing what your greenhouse produces!

Richard - Beautiful tabletop mount! How do you keep that one hydrated, with no moss or anything to really hold moisture?

I'm now convinced that mounts are further in my future than I originally thought!

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some pictures of the driftwood piece (I don't know why taking these pics didn't cross my mind earlier):

{{gwi:192062}}

{{gwi:192063}}

{{gwi:192064}}

Dimensions as listed in my first post ("The knot itself is about 6"tall x 4"wide x 3"deep with two holes about 1" in diameter. Extending at an angle from the top of the knot is a wing-like projection another 7" long.") Sorry, but I couldn't find anything appropriate to put in as a visual cue on size. It's fairly stable standing as is, but if the orchid I mount gets too heavy, I'll likely have to add some weight to the base.

I have a small Den unicum likely arriving sometime next week. Perhaps I'll try that one, though I have a feeling at first anyway it will be dwarfed by the mount.

Any suggestions as to where on the mount I should put it?

Tyler

• orchidnick
    15 years ago

It would make a beautiful table top arrangement, the watering would be the problem. With a suitable saucer of sorts you could water it over the sink and then not have to drip dry it for an hour.

I don't use moss because I have the time to water them often, just like the Chicago voters of old, early and often, on hot days 3 times plus. Before I had the time to do this, I was more ready to use moss.

I would check out Andy's offerings, also any one of the mini Agrecoids would look great with their spectacular flowers. There are a number of them where the crystalline white flower is bigger than the plant. I'm not an expert on these, maybe someone who is could chime in. 'Cal-Orchids' in Santa Barbara has a great selection on these. I could also see a Neofineta sit in that hole. I have 'Shutennou' (King of Shuten) which makes stunningly beatiful, graceful and delicate flowers. The plant stays small. It would take a little trickery to secure a mound of Sphagnum moss in there for the plant to grow on and still look natural but I think it would look very gooe. 'New World Orchids' and "Orchids Limited' are places to look along with 'Andy's' and 'Cal-Orchids'.

Let us know what you finally settle on.

Nick

• paul_
    15 years ago

Pretty sweet piece, Tyler!

I would probably plant directly in the knot itself or possibly just above it. It would depend in part on the size of plant currently, its expected mature size, and most definitely on its water needs/how often you realistically see yourself watering it.

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From looking at everything I currently own the Den unicum that I recently purchased looks like it's the best bet for the size of the mount vs. the eventual size of the plant. Right now it's only got two pseudo bulbs on it though, and I'm hesitant to remove it from the medium it's currently in until I've got a somewhat larger more robust plant.

Excuse to buy a new plant? :)

Either that, or wait a year or so.

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

I think the best time to mount plants is when they are putting in a flush of new roots. That said - I have found that young plants adapt much faster to a mount than older plants. Root loss is common when moving almost any orchid from this to that. That is because orchid roots grow out adapted to the medium they are in. If you move them from bark to moss, there will be some root loss. If you move them from a pot to a mount, there will be some root loss.

New roots will grow in, adapted to the situation it's growing in at present, and in this case, attached to the mount. Old roots will not attach themselves. When the plant you are mounting is large, and this root loss occurs - you now have a large plant that is going to have to feed off of itself until enough time has passed, and new roots (a lot of them) have grown to once again support the plant. Larger plants do adapt to mounting, but the recovery time is much longer than for a seedling, in my experience.

The orchid below was mounted a week or two out of the flask some months ago. It's first flush of roots attached to the mount, others choosing to grow into the air. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. You live in a very different climate from mine - just maybe something to think about......;0)
    Pat....
    {{gwi:192065}}

• chryss
    15 years ago

You might consider Phal. equestris since the mount will be inside only. I mounted this as a keiki 3 years ago and it grows a new leaf then drops one always keeping just the 2 like you see ! It blooms regularly every year increasing the count by one, this year there were 3 !!

P. equestris 'Hana Nguyen' AM/AOS
    {{gwi:192068}}

Good Luck, nice piece of cypress !

Chryss

• chryss
    15 years ago

Here's another suggestion. I mounted this Den. 12/2005. It's in the mini-Den group. The fishing line came off in less than a year. I got it from Floradise Orchids.

Den. White Bota
    {{gwi:192069}}

Here's today's Hana Nguyen
    P. equestris 'Hana Nguyen' AM/AOS
    {{gwi:192070}}

Chryss

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Chyrss, I love your mounted orchids. They are so delicate looking.

Ttkidd, that is a great piece of driftwood and and orchid would make an excellent addition to it.

The only mounted orchid (photo in profile) I have was mounted from the time I purchased it. Once I become more of an expert, I may try mounting one on my own.

Sarah

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful piece for mounting! I'm not knowledgeable enough, or experienced enough, to mount an orchid... and I certainly wouldn't want to have any mounts without a greenhouse. But I think that cypress piece would look wonderful with an orchid... it's as if it was made just for that purpose!

Great photos, everyone! And great advice!

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Jodik-Actually, I find I often has an easier time with the mounted orchid. It was a bit temperamental at first, but I think that was just from the change of environment. What I like about it is it is easy to tell when it needs water. With the exception of when I add some fertilizer, I just mist it 1-2 times a day (or whenever the sphag and roots seem dry).

Sarah

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gorgeous mounts! Particularly (IMO) that Den. White Bota. Do you know what it's mounted on?

My order from Cloud's Orchids arrived last night. I was surprised to find three of them were already mounted:

Aerangis hildebrandii mounted to a small cork slab. B. Little Stars and B. nodosa mounted to cedar planks. I had some fun last night installing hooks on the walls in my grow area. That power drill my father bought me last Christmas is finally seeing some use... probably not what he imagined me using it for though :)

Tyler

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

If I could provide a more humid environment, I think I might give a mounted orchid a try, but it's so dry here that I dare not try something I'm pretty sure wouldn't survive.

Thinking out loud, so to speak... I could try something hung over my kitchen sink, if I could figure out a way to mount a grow light there at the same time...

• chryss
    15 years ago

Ttkid, it's mounted on an unusual cut of a cedar log. It's a slice mounted vertically if you can spacially imagine it. That's why it looks like an upside down apostrophe ! It was a scrap I had lying around and it looked like a good place to mount so I did !! The P. equestris is on a cedar branch after I peeled off all the outer bark which holds a lot of sticky sap.

Den. White Bota
    {{gwi:192071}}

It had 3 blooms last September but the pix wasn't that good. It's got 2 spikes right now getting ready for the regular Sept blooming !!

Jodik, if you like them try Dens, they LIKE to dry out between waterings. All mine were inside until this year and I DIDN'T water them more than once a day ! I take them into the kitchen and soak them with spray, then feed if they are growing or blooming. Same with the P. equestris, Dinema polybulbon, and the others. I will admit that my Neostylis did NOTHING for 2 years in a SE window & under lights and since I put him out in April he's in bloom and has 3 more spikes !!! That was a lack of light issue. AND I STILL ONLY WATER ONCE A DAY !!! Unless it's rained and I skip that day ! Hope this inspires you to TRY a mount !!

Chryss

• chryss
    15 years ago

Sorry, I DID forget to mention that I hang them under flourescent lights while they're inside.

C-

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Chryss - you may have just inspired me to give one a try! I'll have to look around for the right piece to mount with, and the right Dendrobium, but I do have lights, and I'm home most of the time due to health restraints... so I can keep a close eye on things.

I have a Den. keiki right now that is trying to grow new roots and a growth... once I see that it will survive, I may just see about mounting it.

You make it sound fairly easy... and what's the worst that can happen? It'll die, and I'll be one more dead orchid closer to being an orchidist! LOL!

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol - how many orchids do you have to kill before becoming an "orchidist"? :)

Tyler

• chryss
    15 years ago

Someone told me 1000 !! In which case I'll NEVER be one !! I'll fight to overcome the predication the same way I did when 'THEY' told me I'd never be an equestrian until I fell off the horse 100 times !! I can still count on less than two hands the times I came off a horse in the 25 years I've been riding !! Only one was a toss, the others I fought all the way to the ground. It took 3 years during my frequent lessons beginner stage before I first came off !! I'm still at the less than two hands orchidist stage !

C-

• richardol
    15 years ago

I have heard that "kill 1000" thing, but I think that it is more likely something to do with becoming one with your orchids, being able to read their moods and making adjustments before they die.

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ouch...this is an expensive hobby. Just thinking about how much people spend on their orchids to end up with 1000 dead. That's 10s of thousands of dollars (at least), and you don't even get a degree at the end :). It puts the $1500 orchid in perspective I guess.

And I was ashamed to admit that I've killed about 15 over the past four years since I started growing...

Tyler

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

The saying I heard told of 100 kills under the belt before you can call yourself a real orchidist! I know it's just a saying, and I've only logged one kill so far... with any luck, I'll log very few kills!

It's also said that you need a "green thumb" to be a good gardener... there's no such thing... a green thumb is nothing more than applied knowledge!

Combine research and knowledge with a little experience and a lot of common sense, and you can be a good gardener, or in this case, a decent orchidist!

• wiscnick
    15 years ago

Tyler-
    "killed" is such a harsh statement--I'd rather say "died while in my care"...
    nicole

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

Jodik - I'm with you! In 20yrs I've only killed one orchid and want to keep it at that. It was one of those complex bulldog type Paphs. Not really a paph. fan so it did not kill me too much :)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

A nameless Phal from the local garden center "died while in my care", which is why I really don't like them, and haven't purchased another. Oh, what the heck, let's be honest... I killed the dang thing deader than a doornail! LOL!

• paul_
    15 years ago

Jodi, You might also look at trying Tolumnia for your first mounts. I'm trying some now to see how they fair.

Btw, I know what you mean about the dryness -- especially in winter. Actually mounting a plant is not that hard, however.

Here's a few of mine:

{{gwi:192072}}

{{gwi:192073}}

{{gwi:192074}}

{{gwi:192076}}

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Very nice mounts! Healthy roots, too! I've sort of been looking more into mounting, trying to learn as much as I can before I attempt anything.

Last fall, I mounted 2 Staghorn Ferns, and both died... they were tiny seedlings, so I wasn't sure how much of a chance they'd have over winter, and indoors, to boot... the air is so dry. But even with misting and constant attention to watering, they didn't make it. I think it was dumb on my part to try it at that time of year...

Anyway... with any luck, I'll have some decent lights this fall... which will give me another decent area to grow in. I'll take this fall and winter to research, and perhaps try a mount next spring. I'm finding out that with indoor growing, timing is part of it!

• orchidnick
    15 years ago

I have over 1,000 orchids, all except the Cymbidiums, a few species in moss and a few Australian Dendrobiums are mounted. A friend of mine has 1,000 plus in pots, he started repotting 1 month ago, he is only half way through as we speak. I don't have a repotting bench, no montains of bark new and old and have not repotted an orchid since Jan 2,000 when I cut myself badly wrestling a pot bound D speciosum out of a pot with a sharp tool of sorts. I decided at that time that there will be no more repotting, 90% are mounted, the rest are in rock. I never regretted that decision. I even have some Cymbidiums mounted as an experiment and they are doing fine.

I would like to substitute the words 'Bare root growing' for 'mounting'. Since they are not parasitic, an epiphytic orchid derives only one thing from its host. A place to live and support so it does not fall to the forest floor in a storm. If you reduce the purpose of mounts to that, it opens all kinds of new possibilities.

The plants don't care if they grow on a piece of wood that looks like a branch or pieces of wood that have been cut and reassembled to look like a basket. They grow equally well in an empty plastic basket or for that mater an empty plastic pot. They will grow on an old fridge or a car on blocks with the hood up, they just need support. To prove my point (occasionally I give talks) I have a vigorous catt growing in a suspended old tennis shoe. 5 new leads at this time, should have 5 bunches of purple flowers this fall. Blc Seach Urchin to be exact, but it would work for all of them.

I took a bunched up Catt, ran some wires through its root ball and hung it up. That plant is growing on NOTHING. The whole point of this is that the plants don't care what they grow on as long as they are supported. Water, light, temp, food, air movement etc is what makes a sucessful plant. You can let your imagination run wild and mount them on anything that blows your skirts up.

List of my favorite mounts:

Branches and other pieces of wood with character
    Wooden baskets
    Plastic baskets
    Empty pots with holes drilled in the sides so roots can come out
    Rocks, lava rocks look really great
    Trees
    Houses, nail a few plants to the eves, wooden window frames, etc
    Fences

I don't have cars on blocks with the hood up but they would look a lot better with some Cattleys all over them.

1,000 Orchids 'Missing in Action' sounds about right.

Nick

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'd really love to get a look at that tennis shoe mounting! Do you have a photo, and would you be willing to share it? It just sounds so interesting and unique!

Once I get a stable environment in which to grow orchids, and more experience and knowledge, of course... I can imagine myself having lovely mounts! The more everyone posts their ideas and information, not to mention photos, the more interested I become!

If only I lived in a climate where I could leave my plants outdoors all year, or in lieu of that, had a better indoor environment to give my orchids... the mounting possibilities are endless, it appears!

I can just picture an old Ford sitting in the front yard, blooming Cattleyas and other orchids growing from every nook and cranny! I wonder what the neighbors would say?!

• orchidnick
    15 years ago

They would say: "God dang it, Billy-Bob must be gay, growing flawrs and all."

• arthurm
    15 years ago

I'll say it again, mounting madness.
    Off to a fairly large orchid show in an hour or two. The Society in question has 600 members. Guess what will be presented on a mount? Not many. And they will be orchids that grow best on a mount! There are plenty of those, but for general orchid cultivation, orchids are best in pots.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

LOL, Nick! Right now, I'm so mad at our Dodge for breaking down so often, I'd love to plant orchids or other flowers on it, and leave it in the front yard! That's about all it's good for!

With any luck, our Harbor Freight greenhouse will go up next year... and then the fun begins! Once I have it operating well, I can try many orchids and other plants that I can't grow at present, mounts included.

Have fun at your orchid show, Arthur!

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone ever tried mounting on a clay pot (ie: Turn the clay pot upside down and mount the orchid on it)? I just tried this last night with an old noid phal that wasn't doing so well. It has numerous aerial roots, but only a few healthy roots left in the medium. The bottom few leaves were wrinkling, from lack of water I think as the plant was certainly getting enough light and heat. The sphag it was in was old, compacted, and holding onto water for too long so most of the potted roots were rotted.

After removing the sphag and cutting off the dead roots I wrapped the remaining (formerly) potted roots and most of the aerial roots around the clay pot and tied them there with some nylon cord. After tucking some fresh sphag around the roots I set the upturned pot into a saucer of water (no part of the plant or the sphag is touching the water).

I checked it this morning and the clay pot is cool to the touch and the sphag is nice and moist.

This is just an experiment on my part with a plant I don't particularly care about, but I thought I'd share and see if anyone has any comments/suggestions about this setup.

Tyler

• richardol
    15 years ago

{{gwi:173146}}Yes, I have two of them right now. This Stanhopea jenischiana and a Neofinetia falcata. The photo was from last December just after I "potted" it. It has a new growth now and the moss is looking better. I don't know if it is big enough to flower this year, but the effect of the flower down the side should be interesting.

I have two other Stanhopea mounted on cork, and that works very well.

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, richard, has your stanhopea flowered yet? i imagine it would be quite interesting if the flowers cascade around the pot. i could not access your photo.
    sue

• MsFlintlock
    15 years ago

I have a couple of catts mounted to half a broken clay pot. The plant seems to like the half better than one whole. Although it may be the absence of media it likes. Reminds it more of home.
    Sherlene

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource