SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pikecoe

Draining Pond to rid it of Bluegills. Hopefully!!

pikecoe
16 years ago

I guess this weekend, I'm going to be dumping 5000 gallons of water. I do not want all those bluegills any longer. I'm getting another 12ft stock tank and will fill it with pond water. Then drain the rest out until I can catch the goldies and transfer them to the stock tank. I really didn't want to do this because of stress. Then I will try to capture all the bluegills and dump them back in the river. Just don't know how successful I will be in getting all the eggs out. And I will probably destroy other eggs in the process. Time will tell. Then when I get the fish back in the pond, I'm going to use the new stocktank for a water lily pond. I'll probably start all over with the green water again. I will put the water from the stocktank back into the pond, if I can figure how to strain it to keep bluegill eggs from going back in the pond. And maybe this will seed the new water and keep it from turning green again, Fingers Crossed. And the skippy filter will still be full of it's bacteria and the bog filter will still be "dirty". Anyone have any better ideas? Glenda

Comments (13)