SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Birds vandalizing phals?

mehitabel
15 years ago

Anyone had or suspected birds of vandalizing your orchids?

The last few mornings I've found fresh scars on a few phals-- the top, newest (freshest and most beautiful) leaf with a few rakings less than an inch, or smallish holes.

I have the carts along the deck bannister overnight, and the damage is always on the side that is next to the bannister, and only to plants at the very edge. Interior plants are not damaged. The top shelf of the cart is about the height of the bannister, so a critter could walk or perch on the bannister and do it's stuff to the plants on the edge of the cart very easily.

I suspect birds because a mocking bird (and a couple of babies) has been visiting my deck for several days, walking along the bannister and taking it unkindly when anyone steps out there, tho they do leave.

Also, the damage is small compared to what a squirrel could do. Rabbits? no way they would leave three scratches on a leaf and then leave. Besides, it's a second-story deck and they can't get up there.

The damage is small, but for a perfect new leaf to go from perfect to banged up overnight, is still unpleasant.

Anyone know whether birds peck and claw at leaves? And why?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022